General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Discovery 2 Alarm Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:28 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 2 Alarm Issues

Hi folks,

I have just bought this Landy and have to fix this issue if I am to further enjoy myself in this vehicle.
It is a 1999 Discovery 2 with the V8 Motor.

So what happens?
As the buttons on the key are broken, I must unlock the vehicle manually.
Once unlocked, and the door opened, the horn will sound, which I imagine is the alarm / immobiliser system?
My remedy to stop this is to then put the key into the lock position in the door.
Then the Car won't start. Once the key has been entered into the barrel, the alarm once agains sounds and the vehicle will not start.
However I remedy this too! Once I have disabled the initial horning phase as I stated above, I then lock the steering wheel and very quickly shove the key in the barrel and turn it on.
Once the key is at the ON position, the horn usually stops and I can start the car.

For obvious reasons, I'd like to fix this.

For more information - as the key is beat up, the actual key itself sits somewhat loosely in the entire key assembly, that is to say that on occasion it will come out of the remote assembly (could this contribute to the issue?)
I also have noted (unsure of its relevance) that the Fuse for the Clock and "Engine Remobilisation" tells of 4.5V of Resistance in the circuit.

I will endeavour to take pictures of the key and share a video of the process during this day.

Any and all help is appreciated as the weekend has begun and it is time for me to knuckle into this and fix my new car.

Cheers

Old 05-28-2018, 05:10 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

No news is good news.

For now.

Whatever the issue was (or is) it has evolved further.
I have disabled the horns as the horns came on at 1am the other night waking the neighbourhood, I chalked it off to it being a dewey night after a humid day.
Though the starting has becoming more complex!
What I am seeing happen now is that I will hop into the vehicle and attempt to start the car and nothing will happen. This lack of cranking is accompanied by the Hazard lights flashing some 10 - 20 times follow by a rest of approximately 10 seconds. The hazards then continue and so the process repeats.
For some reason, after trying for several minutes, the vehicle will start though it is entirely random.
I had pressed the Inertia switch on the firewall and found that it had no effect on the starting.

I am studying the Rave manual and otherwise beating my head against the wall and would gladly appreciate any assistance that can be made.
I have yet to provide key photos...

Cheers