General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Got her wet. P1300, p0301, p0303, p0305, p0307

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:29 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got her wet. P1300, p0301, p0303, p0305, p0307

2002 disco 2. Newly rebuilt engine with less than 2000 miles on it. Been planning a national parks road trip in this thing for over a year and last weekend was the big test run. Took her to a jeep trail about 2 hours from where I live. Everything was running smooth up until I hit an unexpected trench in one of the wetter paths. Got her stuck in water that settled above the front tire. Cut her off quick and didn't get any water in the intake. Long story short, we got her out, finished the course, let her dry for a day and drove her two hours all the way home without any codes or misfires. Couple days pass and I go to move her and I notice she's idling week. Ran better after warm up but then got a lot worse. Found a drip of moisture under the gas cap. Doesn't seem to be burning coolant though. Getting codes(p1300,301,303,305,307). So guys, where should I start?

Old 05-30-2018, 11:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

I'd suggest starting with the simple stuff first to see if you can identify any improvement, such as:

Run some B12 or Techron through your gas tank, open your air filter box to see if your filter got wet, spray MAF cleaner into your MAF tube, spray contact cleaner or WD40 into your MAF's electrical connection (and every other electrical connection that is easy to reach), check your oil dipstick for "milk" or "mud" or water, pull your spark plug wires off of the spark plugs and spray those electrical connections, etc.

Does your code scanner tell you if your Disco 2 is in "closed loop" fuel mode? If it is instead in "open" loop mode then pull your O2 electrical connectors and spray them with contact cleaner, as well.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

If the above doesn't help then you'll want to escalate to slightly more difficult tests such as cleaning or replacing your CPS.

Same again for your coil packs.

Also, feel under your driver seat to see if the carpet is wet there. You've got a transmission computer under there I think. Maybe an amplifier, too?

Old 05-31-2018, 10:39 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by No Doubt
I'd suggest starting with the simple stuff first to see if you can identify any improvement, such as:

Run some B12 or Techron through your gas tank, open your air filter box to see if your filter got wet, spray MAF cleaner into your MAF tube, spray contact cleaner or WD40 into your MAF's electrical connection (and every other electrical connection that is easy to reach), check your oil dipstick for "milk" or "mud" or water, pull your spark plug wires off of the spark plugs and spray those electrical connections, etc.

Does your code scanner tell you if your Disco 2 is in "closed loop" fuel mode? If it is instead in "open" loop mode then pull your O2 electrical connectors and spray them with contact cleaner, as well.
okay, so it's been raining a lot here and I'm thinking it may be a water issue on some connections. Topped off my oil this morning and replaced the lead shim on my battery. Got her to warm up and clear the codes. Drove her around for a while and so far no new misfire codes have appeared. Took her on the interstate and everything. However, it still seems like she may be idling a little rough. Could be My Imagination but it seems like there's a deeper more stumbling guttural sound too the exhaust than there was before. Again I could just be being paranoid. Idles at just under 750. Everything seems fine but these past couple days have been such a roller coaster I want to be certain I don't have any build-up issues. Would a seafoam clean be a good idea?

Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 AM
6th Gear

Also, I'm not sure how to tell if the cycle is closed or open. I've got the basic scanner and so far haven't pulled any codes that would indicate that to my knowledge