General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DISCOVERY 2 fan motor has stopped working fault code flashing 21-22 on heater panel

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:34 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy DISCOVERY 2 fan motor has stopped working fault code flashing 21-22 on heater panel

hi guys. I have a series 2 discovery 2003 TD5 with AC and my problem is that my heat/cooling fan has stopped working. i have carried out the fault process as shown on youtube and i get a flashing 21-22 code? any help would be appreciated...thought it might be that i just need a new blower/fan but those codes relate to sunlight sensors?? i live in Brisbane Australia and you can imagine how much i need the Aircon working lol.

ok after reading some of the threads regarding the fault codes it seems i have to do the test in daylight lol which i admit i didn't do so will know better tomorrow.

rechecked the codes in daylight and yes still there 21-22...have now carried out multimeter tests changed 1x 40 fuse (5) on engine fuse box though the original was not blown it had melted a bit? anyway have put fan on a demand and checked for power at the blower and yes power is there so i suspect the blower motor has died.

Last edited by peteave; 08-28-2017 at 12:24 AM. Reason: carried out recommended tests
Old 08-27-2017, 05:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts
The following users liked this post:
peteave (08-28-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 05:15 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by peteave
hi guys. I have a series 2 discovery 2003 TD5 with AC and my problem is that my heat/cooling fan has stopped working. i have carried out the fault process as shown on youtube and i get a flashing 21-22 code? any help would be appreciated...thought it might be that i just need a new blower/fan but those codes relate to sunlight sensors?? i live in Brisbane Australia and you can imagine how much i need the Aircon working lol.

ok after reading some of the threads regarding the fault codes it seems i have to do the test in daylight lol which i admit i didn't do so will know better tomorrow.

rechecked the codes in daylight and yes still there 21-22...have now carried out multimeter tests changed 1x 40 fuse (5) on engine fuse box though the original was not blown it had melted a bit? anyway have put fan on a demand and checked for power at the blower and yes power is there so i suspect the blower motor has died.
If you are self analysing on the A/C computer the codes for the sunlight sensor are 21 and 22 so they have nothing to do with the fan motor.

00 - no faults
11 - in car temp sensor fault
12 - ambient sensor fault
13 - thermistor fault
14 - heater coolant sensor fault
*21 - left sunlight sensor fault - open or shorted
*22 - right sunlight sensor fault - open or shorted
31 - left servo motor
32 - right servo motor
33 - distribution servo motor

https://www.google.fr/search?q=landr...cZ0UHFf9GiZoM:

Old 08-31-2017, 06:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

You can remove the blower fan assembly and bench check it with 12VDC. Once removed, this will give a chance to look for/clean out any leaves, pine needles and trash around the blower fan.
Also check the resistor/heatsink pack for overheating.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 08-31-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:29 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
You can remove the blower fan assembly and bench check it with 12VDC. Once removed, this will give a chance to look for/clean out any leaves, pine needles and trash around the blower fan.
Also check the resistor/heatsink pack for overheating.

thank you. This is my job for tomorrow and will post result. Pete