General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Do you find the 4.0 liter motor to be noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do you find the 4.0 liter motor to be noisy?

Being that I'm a complete newb with the Rover line of vehicles, I'm wondering if you guys find that the 4.0 liter motor is somewhat noisy? I know this is a very subjective question, what may seem noisy to one person may not to another.

I was just out in the driveway trying to chase a coolant leak with the blacklight and I guess with my vision being somewhat degraded by the darkness, my ears began to pick up more and more noises coming out of the motor.

I'd guess the loudest thing would be the alternator, it doesn't sound happy and unless someone can confirm that they run ugly than I'd suspect I'll be needing a new one at some point in the future.

I was under the vehicle when it was running and I could definitely hear what sounded like some minor knocking. I can't say what the other owner(s) did or what kind of gas they ran in the vehicle for the first 58K miles, but in the week we've had it we've put premium in it and it's got fresh oil. From what I can tell, the motor runs strong and responds well.

Just curious if other Disco II owners find that the 4.0 motor sounds a little noisy? I can't decide if this vehicle is supposed to be a Luxury ride that is quiet or it's an off-roading beast that is expected to be a little noisy. It'd probably help if I go chase down some other Disco II's and listen to the motors in them.

PS-No luck on the coolant leak. It's very, very minute...but I'm **** about coolant. My buddy ran a pressure test on the system and it held pressure very well. It doesn't seem to have leaked much fluid over the past few days. I did find a few glowing spots with the black light on the bottom side of the motor but I haven't pinpointed where it's coming from. Going to let the dye fester a little longer and see if it leaves a better trail.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Do you find the 4.0 liter motor to be noisy?

So what year was the truck with how many miles?
Why chase a coolant leak with a black light, just do a coolant pressure test.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

So what year was the truck with how many miles?
Why chase a coolant leak with a black light, just do a coolant pressure test.
'01, around 58K...and we did both. Pressure test looked good, no noticeable drops or loss of pressure, but there definitely be a small leak and a slight smell of burnt anti-freeze.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Call me.
303-862-7680
Colorado before 8 pm