General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Door lock actuators?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock actuators?

I apologize for posting about this after seeing and reading all the other posts. I just need some clarity. I have an 03 disco 2 and my left rear door and the back door do not unlock. They respond to the key fob to lock, but then do not unlock. Interior switch will not unlock them either. The actuators make noise like they are trying to unlock but dont. You can grab the handle and unlock that way. My big concern is that i do not want to buy a new/used actuator if thats not the problem.

Thanks for any feedback!
P.S. anybody around the Lansing, Mi area? I just bought this and wondering who's around.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Nobody?? Could this be the IDM?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 PM
4th Gear

The actuator is a very simple component, if you're familiar with it, I have a similar issue right now as I am reinstalling the front passenger side. I have found that the mechanical attachment point for the exterior door handle is "sticking" (not allowing a full range of motion freely) since I have the door apart and can look directly at the operation of the unit as I operate it. The door catch will not release unless I manually push the connecting point up(hence the "sticking") when the unit is removed from the door it operates freely, however when it is reinstalled it sticks. I haven't gotten a second opinion on it from the forum yet. You can have na actuator that works on the interior handle and the elctronic "unlock" and still have the exterior portion not work. Possibly needing a completely new actuator. Lubrication does not seem to be and issue. Mine is on a 02 Disco and appears to be original perhaps it is at the end of its life?