General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

doors won't unlock

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: doors won't unlock

can you offer anymore help on this problem?

Old 12-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: armlock

I am having a simliar problem but a few of my doors still work (Passenger front and rear door) when i push the central lock button i can hear someting in the actuater but nothing happens.Oh well i guess i will keep doing the Duke boys entrance.
In your case I would say you have some failing actuators. What happens if you try to unlock the doors by hitting the button a couple of times?

Old 12-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: pebbles

can you offer anymore help on this problem?
Are you sure the fuse is good, I would change it out to make sure, cause at this point, your whole central lock system is down, not just one actuator.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Overlanding

I changed out the fuse. This didn't change anything. Is it true that if the truck is super locked it can only be unlocked with the hand remote?

It appears that the truck is superlocked. My handbook says this will immobilise the interior door handles. I read online somewhere that the only way to reverse the super lock is to use the hand remote to unlock but my hand remote isn't working. I changed the battery out in remote but this didn't solve the problem. When I press the remote to lock I can hear all the doors trying to lock (even though they are all ready locked) except for my driver door which stays unlocked. It will only lock manually with the key. And of course, nothing will unlock with the remote or the interior dash switch which is why I can only get my driver door open since it's the only door with a key hole.

It seems this is a safety issue. I am glad no one was in the truck when the doors quit working. It isn't safe to be in the truck if you can't get out from the inside. Is it strange that I can't even open the doors from inside the truck by pulling the handle? This is why I think the super lock feature is engaged but there should be a way to disengage this.

The manual doesn't say how to take super locking off. I think I read somewhere online this can only be done with the remote but that isn't working. So, it appears the function that isn't working is the unlock mechanism. Does the actuator in my driver door control all the other actuators? If this one is bad, can it cause the problem I am having?

What do you think?

I am about to take it to a local mechanic. I don't know if they will have any experience working on Landrovers. What do you recommend I ask them to do? I want to go in with a little bit of knowledge so I'm not taken advantage of. No offense but I have had major problems with my dealership since I bought my truck and so I don't have the best feeling when getting things fixed on my truck. Which is why I want to goto a local mechanic who has nothing to do with the dealership.

Thank you for your help and sorry for my frustration!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

first let me say that its odd for the inside door handles not to push up the lock button
with the first pull of the inside door handle, so i will assume the the disco latches are stuck in superlock mode.

"an inertia switch is loacated in the engine compartment. in the event of a collision, the inertial
switch will trip. when the switch is tripped with the igntion on and the alarm disarmed all the
doors will automatically unlock and locking of the doors will be prevented untill the inertia switch is reset"

if suspect a bad body control unit or intelligent driver module (passenger fuse box).
fuses to be checked, in engine compartmend fuse box. link 3 (50amp), fuse 13 10amp next
passenger compartment fuses 1 25amp, fuse 20 15amp, if that all checks out it may be dealer time
because theres a data signal on a serial data bus between the bcu and idm controling the internal
micro relays in the idm to send out to the door latch assemblys.
i'm not trying to make this sound complex but the system is.
all the best.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Overlanding

OK, we unplugged the inertia switch and it stops the fuel flow so I can't get the truck to turn on but this didn't unlock any doors.

Next we tested all the fuses you listed and link 3. They all check out.

I really appreciate all the help both of you have given me. I think I'll have to take it in.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thank you, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no sorry, you must slightly tap the inertial switch on the fire not unplug.
this must be done with the key on and the doors WILL unlock
the hazards will come on to this will tell the switch has triped.
unless internal damage to the body control unit or idm is the fault.
then its dealer only due to programing of modules.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Overlanding

Ok, I tapped on it with the key in the on position. Then I tried to turn the ignition but it wouldn't start and the hazards came onbut the doors remain locked.

So, I reset the inertial switch and then the truck started and hazards went off.

It must be the body control unit or idm thing.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Overlanding

I called the mechanic today and they told me since I put a new battery in my remote that I need to have the dealer reprogram my key and that is probably why it isn't working. This is the first thing I tried becauseI wanted to make sure it wasn't just a dead battery in the remote. They said only the dealer can do this.

Is that right?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator

I have replaced my batteries a couple of times and never had to have it reprogrammed afterwards.
Besides, your key can do the same thing as your FOB as far as the alarm system is concerned.

Quick Reply: doors won't unlock