General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

doors won't unlock

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: doors won't unlock

Ok, the mechanic told me that a wire shorted out and because of this I have to replace the entire fuse box. They are replacing a door latch as well. Does this sound right? If the wire shorted out would this cause the fuse box to go bad? What about the wire, does it have to be replaced too?

Thank you.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Overlanding

Ok, the mechanic told me that a wire shorted out and because of this I have to replace the entire fuse box. They are replacing a door latch as well. Does this sound right? If the wire shorted out would this cause the fuse box to go bad? What about the wire, does it have to be replaced too?

Thank you.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ok, i think the idm/fuse box in not working correctly
but what caused the internal failure, its hard to tell
i suspose it could have been the latch shorting the idm/fuse box
it also maybe a shorted wire. what i do know is that the
micro relays internal to the idm/fuse box control all the
door latch actuators. with a multi-meter dvom you
sould be able to tell if the body harness is shorted to
ground or positive by dissconnecting the latch plug and the
idmfusebox plug and testing between the too with the meter.

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION 4.8 DISCOVERY SERIES II OPERATION CDL Supply Circuit supply A feed from the battery positive terminal is connected by an R wire to the engine compartment fusebox, where it passes to fusible link 3 and fuse 13. The feed from fusible link 3 is connected on an NR wire to the passenger compartment fusebox where it passes through fuses 1, 20 and 21. From fuse 1 in the passenger compartment fusebox the feed is connected to the contacts of the four electronic CDL relays in the passenger compartment fusebox. When the relay contacts are open they are connected on a B wire from the passenger compartment fusebox to earth header C0017 LHD/ C0018 RHD. From fuse 20 in the passenger compartment fusebox the feed is connected on a GU wire to the passive coil which surrounds the ignition switch. From fuse 21 in the passenger compartment fusebox the feed is connected on a P wire via header C0289 LHD, and a PB wire, header C0292 and a P wire RHD, to Body Control Unit (BCU) pin C0661-19. The feed from fuse 13 is connected on a PN wire to BCU pin C0660-13 and provides a permanent battery supply to the BCU. A second feed from fuse 13 is connected on a PN wire to the passenger compartment fusebox and supplies power to the electronic CDL relays in the fusebox. A third feed from fuse 13 is connected on an NB wire to the inertia switch. CDL OPERATION Inertia switch When the inertia switch contact is closed (switch not tripped) the feed from fuse 13 in the engine compartment fusebox passes through the switch and is connected on a WG wire to the engine compartment fusebox. The feed passes through the fusebox and is connected on an NS wire to the Intelligent Driver Module (IDM) in the passenger compartment fusebox. Body Control Unit (BCU) The BCU is connected from pin C0661-1 on an SK wire (serial data bus), via header C0293/ C0292 RHD to the passenger compartment fusebox. The BCU uses the serial data bus to the IDM in the passenger compartment fusebox to energise each electronic relay. When each relay is energised power is supplied to each door lock motor as applicable. When each relay is de-energised it is connected to earth. The BCU is connected using the serial data bus from pin C0661-1 on an SK wire, via header C0293 LHD/C0292 RHD, to the instrument pack pin C0233-16. The instrument pack pin C0230-16 is connected on a KG wire via header C0290 (and splice joint A87 on automatic vehicles) to the SLABS ECU pin C0504-3. The SLABS ECU supplies a road speed signal to the instrument pack.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:14 AM
6th Gear

You were almost there, after removing the torx screw for the door handle, push it forward and pull out from the rear . this should give you enough room to reinstall the tumbler linkage into the latch. I am having a simliar problem but a few of my GMC Truck Parts still work

Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 AM
6th Gear

You were almost there, after removing the torx screw for the door handle, push it forward and pull out from the rear . this should give you enough room to reinstall the tumbler linkage into the latch.
I am having a similar problem but a few of my Gmc Truck Parts still work...

Old 11-06-2008, 01:04 AM
4wd Low

Bringing up an old thread here, but I am having a similar problem. The lock switch on the remote and inside my 04 Disco works, but neither unlock switch works. The unlock button on the remote does, however, cause the lights on the Disco to blink, so the remote is working. So the only way I have of getting in is with the keyhole on the driver door.

Meanwhile, I superlocked it tonight while trying to figure out the problem, and now I can't un-superlock it. Which means I can't even drive it.

Anyone have suggestions? Am I going to have to be towed?

Old 12-21-2008, 03:12 PM
2nd Gear

Men, this is a real problem, my '02 II se will not unlock either, had to remove the panels and reverse the wires to get an unlock command. Only door that will open is the left front with the key, not the remote, the central lock nor the inside handles will unlock any door.
I consider this a safety issue and should not be driven if it happens, no one can get out of the truck in a hurry!!! Doors all lock normally,no unlock command from the IDM, alarm is working and have removed the fuse for power door locks until the new IDM comes!!! most likely will change the left front door latch also, as it must have shorted the IDM.
A local accident on a rail crossing resulted in the occupants being cut out of the truck, no door would open! Not much damage before the jaws of life cut through the side................
Personally in the automotive repair business, I believe a recall should be issued.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HELP!!! I can't use the remote to lock/unlock the doors! I replaced new batteries on BOTH of my keys and still no use... my buddy says that I might need a new battery (for the truck itself, not the key); I do think this might be an issue because when I do start, I get this slow crank before the kick... any help? advise? PL PL PL PL PL PL HELP I'm going away to Lake George and it's pretty cold weather and I'm afraid of getting frozen (even though the de-icer will come in handy- but I'm trying to avoid it just for safety issues with super-locking)... Cheers! AJ

Old 12-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOT IT! (to my previous post) Just my batt was all dying... I got the Optima Yellow Top really good reviews on it! Mike, don't get upset, I know I was supposed to call you, but I'm terribly sorry I wasn't able to. Pretty soon, I will contact for your expertise you're the best!

AJ

Old 12-30-2008, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

To anyone interested: IF the doors are locked and you can not use the internal switch nor the key to unlock anything but the left front door-[No unlock command] but the alarm works, and you can not use the handles inside- you need to change the IDM/Fuse block Look for a short in the lower outside of the printed circuit, most likely from water or condensation damage- seems to be Disco II related mostly.

jdanish
Pleasant Valley Garage
ASE IATN

Quick Reply: doors won't unlock