General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

drivetrain problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:47 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drivetrain problem

1996 discovery 52,000 miles free rolls in park and makes all sorts of noises when put in gear.
Im thinking there is a problem in the transfer case but Im not sure. I have not bought it yet but I can get it real cheap if it is a fixable problem. has anyone else ever heard of anything like this.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: drivetrain problem

First off chock all four wheels - not only will this stop it rolling away it'll stop it running you over while you find out what's wrong.

Land Rover designed the drivetrain to break at the more accessible and cheaper places first... this goes for Series/Defender/Disco1/RRC. I can't comment on the later models as I've never owned one.

Check the drive flanges first - they're the bit on the outside of the hub with 5 bolts holding it in place. Looks like this: If the spline is rounded out or any part of it is sheared you'll most likely have found the culprit - a visual check without removing them is all you need - damage sufficient to stop the car will be very obvious.

Next check the front and rear prop UJ's - if one breaks you'll be able to see it immediately - again a visual check is all that's needed.

Now try and rotate the rear prop by hand with the car in drive - if it'll turn check the rear axle half shafts by removing the drive flange and pulling the half shaft out... a good idea to drain the oil out of the rear diff before you do this or it'll ruin your driveway. If it'll only turn between a quarter and a half a turn then check the transmission brake drum between the rear prop and the transfer box - you only need to remove the transmission end of the prop and undo the big nut holding the drum on... slacken the adjuster right off and check the workings aren't smashed to bits.

If it's not that you're looking at either front or rear diffs - and after that the transfer box.

Does the car drive at all? Will it drive with the centre diff locked?

Hope that helps,

Old 10-04-2008, 11:00 PM
4wd Low

ORIGINAL: Adz

Does the car drive at all? Will it drive with the centre diff locked?
I talked to the guy again and he said that it would drive with it locked.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:48 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd do the checks above in that order... chances are good it's just a broken half shaft. Parts for the disco1 drivetrain aren't particularly expensive, even if you mail order them from the UK.

Cheers,

Old 10-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If it will drive in High lock, then it is safe to say you have either a bad diff or broken axle.
How much is he asking for this truck?

Old 10-05-2008, 02:00 PM
4wd Low

he wants 1500 for it but I would be doing an even trade with an 89 suburban.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Overlanding

The front swivels have run dry and one of the CV joints has self destructed. What you hear is what is left of it grinding itself to bits inside the swivel housing.
This is why it will drive with the center differential locked.