General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

First time Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile First time Engine Swap

I ordered the engine on Friday. This will be my first time.
So any pointers that maybe overlooked by a first timer would be helpful.
I am currently getting my shop organized. I have the tools, and the logistics covered. I plan on keeping a log of my process documented with pics. I figure for every part of disassembly, I should have a sharpie and a bunch of ziplock bags to label. I have the Workshop manual as a favorite and plan on printing each section and subsection to keep track. I have a problem with getting too ahead of myself sometimes. :-)
I called an Indie guy to see if I could see what he had to say.
He told me the RR books out at 26 hours for a swap and he gets 95.00 per hour. He also told me that the LR3 motor could book out into the 30 hour range????
I felt like he was pricing me out of the job since I had a local shop swap a Mercedes Benz Motor not to long ago for 1K.
I feel like this will be a valuable ability to have under my belt and will open a whole new chapter in my Land Rover ownership experience.

Attached Thumbnails First time Engine Swap-img_0385.jpg   First time Engine Swap-img_0380.jpg  
Old 05-12-2015, 05:47 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

how did you from heads to a complete engine swap?

Old 05-12-2015, 07:11 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by drowssap
how did you from heads to a complete engine swap?
The value for me is in the swap. I shopped the price for the heads and the engine. The heads leave a lot of variables that my risk toloreance was not willing to take. The motor in there has 161 on it anyway and while the purchase of the newer motor may cost more on the front end, I believe its a more conservative approach. So I plan on uninstalling the engine in the rig and maybe taking the time to break it down to see what was wrong. Having the extra Engine leaves me with options for the future too. Sell it, fix it and then sell it, fix it and keep it.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 AM
Baja

makes sense

Old 05-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any advice. Just wanted to say good luck and have fun. I'm thinking about doing an engine rebuild soon. I'ave never done it before, and I'm nervous, but what the heck. Gotta start somewhere.

Take lots of pictures and let us know how it goes.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:03 AM
Baja

whats in that thing a jag v8

Old 05-14-2015, 08:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Rebuild

Originally Posted by alecbeard
I don't have any advice. Just wanted to say good luck and have fun. I'm thinking about doing an engine rebuild soon. I'ave never done it before, and I'm nervous, but what the heck. Gotta start somewhere.

Take lots of pictures and let us know how it goes.

And those are my thoughts too. I'm super nervous but I know that once I get into it, hopefully some people will have some pearls of wisdom if I get jammed up. Either way it will be a learning process and lots of fun.

I plan on taking as many pics as possible and documenting my project so hopefully I can help the next guy.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:06 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by drowssap
whats in that thing a jag v8
Yeah it sure is. I even looked at getting a lower cost 4.2 from a Jag and swapping the rest of the LR items but at this stage, I need to be more of a plug and play. Once my confidence is up (or down) after this experience, I will know what I am ready for if this happens again. I'm sure the learning curve will be big on just the plug and play.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Default My new motor

Was Damaged in transit. UPS is saying it was packaged poorly and the vendor is telling me that they ship out three motors a week and this is what they do for packaging. I thought it would be in a crate.
Attached are a couple photos from the delivery truck. It was rejected at the dock because it had fallen on its side and was ripped open and leaking oil everywhere.

Attached Thumbnails First time Engine Swap-img_0457.jpg   First time Engine Swap-img_0456.jpg  

Last edited by 4thefamily; 05-15-2015 at 11:13 AM. Reason: additional info