General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

FOB stopped working after heavy rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FOB stopped working after heavy rain

No battery to replace on LR3's , they do recharge in the ignition. More HI-Tech junk
Alot of LR3's had water leaks into the cabin from incorrectly fitted sunroof drain tubes. Your dealer has service bullitens about correcting the leaks.Almost all the cars leak in the RF . and some leaked onto the CJB. (fuse panel behind the glove box)
The remote signal comes from the RF Antenna mounted in the center of the roof. the problem is usually the signal wire, which goes from the roof down the Passenger side B-Pillar and under the scuff plate RF and up to the CJB . The wire gets wet from the water ingress at a solder joint located just forward from the seat in that scuff plate,(Harness under the Plate)its a green/white wire, to fix the remote issue just locate the solder joint, cut out the joint , restrip the wires and resolder the joint . of course it could be something else but its a start.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks dirtyduk, that's exactly what I think it is as well. We got it home to Canada and the first day it rained for about 14 hours straight, we got in the truck, as soon as we got going a waterfall came from that exact area you speak of (passenger side A-joint up to the sun roof) When I heard the RF receiver was located there I put 2+2 together and knew that must be it. Just makes me mad the receiver isnt in any sort of waterproof casing.

So you're saying I could do this myself ? I just have a hard time visuallizing exactly where these wires are. Are we talking under the pass-side floorboards or up at the roof where the sunroof is ?

Thanks for everyone's input ! I am digging this truck but this key thing is keeping me up at night,

Old 10-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The solder joint is located under the door sill plastic cover,(passenger front door)the plastic cover you step on with the door opened, just pop it up, reusable clips hold it down. the harness is under the sill along the edge of the carpet, you'll have to fish around for the solder joint, but it is in the harness about 6 inches ahead of the seat frame, green /white wire with a solder joint.
The sunroof drain tube is alot more difficult because it runs behind the CJB (fuse box behind the glove box) or central junction box, its hell to remove and reinstall , I'd keep it dry till you can visit a dealer in Canada.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Overlanding

Interesting. Its been cold here so I haven't been out to look at it. Just not sure if this is something I should attempt myself. Should I just bring it to a dealer to do this ? How much do you think it would be ? I've worked on a Ford assembly line but I wouldn't want to mess up this sweet ride.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Overlanding

Isn't the vehicle still under warranty? And if you reference the service bulletin for the problem & tell them what you know, I'd think it should make their job easier.
But if you do it yourself, make sure that the solder joint is covered well with a couple of good layers of heat shrink,maybe useinga self sealing solder sleeve to protect it well. Or maybe a good crimp lug instead. But whatever you use, make sure you cover it really well.
Good luck.