General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Which Gas To Choose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me... When I open the gas door on my 95, There is nothing there to remind me of what I should be putting in so it get regular. (And it couldn't be more happier) When I open the gas door on the 01, there's a sticker that says "Premuim Gasoline Only" so that's what she gets. But I also use the logic that Spike uses... Reg is $3.77 Prem is $4.07 $.30 spread 20 gallons cost an extra $6.00. Since I change my own oil and other work Vs the stealership - that savings pays for the upcharge in gas. Just all depends on how you veiw things...

Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
That is only if you adjust the timing advance to compensate for the different fuel...just so the OP knows.
How is the timing advance being adjusted? And which timing advance gets adjusted: the mechanical or the vacuum? And what is it being adjusted to?

Or are you talking about adjusting the base timing by advancing it?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Banzai Jimmy
How is the timing advance being adjusted? And which timing advance gets adjusted: the mechanical or the vacuum? And what is it being adjusted to?

Or are you talking about adjusting the base timing by advancing it?
Well on a non dizzy engine the knock sensors retard the ignition timing to adjust for the lower octane fuel.
On a dizzy engine YOU have to retard the ignition timing to adjust for the lower octane fuel, if you dont you will get spark knock (you may not hear it) and as we all know from high school auto shop spark knock over extended time will destroy a engine.
How much you need to retard the ignition timing I have no idea.
Now I will confuse you even more, there were a small number of low compression 3.9's imported to the US, those only require 87 octane, the compression ratio on those engines is 8.35:1 compared to the 9.35:1 on the "high" compression engines.
I do not know how to tell which engine you have.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And another fun fact, the spec sheet for a 63 Buick Skylark with this 215 block shows 11:1 compression ratio; with the watered down fuel we have now that would be a real problem...

Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gas used to be gas. 100% pure gas. no ethanol. ethanol is bad for you engine, but then again, why does the government care when the big-agri corn lobby lines their pockets to force us to use corn-gas? How The Corn Lobby Will Kill Your Older Car | Eric Peters Autos

you can still get pure gas, but you have to look a little harder: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Octane rating has no affect on fuel consumption. The quick and easy explanation is that the higher the octane, the slower the burn. Land Rover engineered and programmed their vehicles to use a slower burning fuel. Their timing is set up for the burn rate of the higher octanes. When you use a lower octane, you get engine knock/pinging. Also called pre-detonation. Not a good thing. The knock sensors then try to adjust the fuel trim and timing advance to compensate, but they are still under the impression that you are running a high octane fuel, and the compensations will only appear to work, but in the meantime you will slowly have issues surface that may or may not send the engine to an early grave. No one has ever done a true comparison to see what happens. So everything you hear is speculation. But in my case, the manufacturer says to use 90+ octane, so I do.
Yes, your right. I misspoke.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ghengis86
gas used to be gas. 100% pure gas. no ethanol. ethanol is bad for you engine, but then again, why does the government care when the big-agri corn lobby lines their pockets to force us to use corn-gas? How The Corn Lobby Will Kill Your Older Car | Eric Peters Autos

you can still get pure gas, but you have to look a little harder: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
ALL lobbying needs to be outlawed.

To few and far between.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was thinking more about this today. My LR3 is the 4.0L V-6 from FORD that was shared with the Explorers, F150's, etc. How similar are the LR V6's to the Exploder V6's? Did Ford have the LR V6's spec'd out differently than the others? Or did LR do some finishing of the base engine assembly after receiving from Ford?

B/c Explorers with this V6 are not specified as needing the premium gas as the LR V6 does.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ghengis86
Was thinking more about this today. My LR3 is the 4.0L V-6 from FORD that was shared with the Explorers, F150's, etc. How similar are the LR V6's to the Exploder V6's? Did Ford have the LR V6's spec'd out differently than the others? Or did LR do some finishing of the base engine assembly after receiving from Ford?

B/c Explorers with this V6 are not specified as needing the premium gas as the LR V6 does.

The only difference that I know of is that LR water proofed the engine.
I didn't think the LR3 V6 required premium fuel, I thought it was regular.
I know the LR3 V8 requires premium, but I do not know your specific answer.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I found this page in the LR3 "rave" I downloaded, it does say premium (91) for NAS, ROW says 98 (using a different measure). This is for the V6.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lr3 fuel.pdf (409.5 KB, 110 views)

Quick Reply: Which Gas To Choose?