General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ghosts in the machine

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:58 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghosts in the machine

Hi all. I've never posted here before but have found helpful advice searching. Anyway, here's my problem: 1999 Discovery Series II, 129k miles. Would not start. "Repair shop" found "no spark" and "weak injector pulse". They consequently replaced (sequentially when problem persisted) spark plugs, plug wires, coils (coilpack), crank (ckp) sensor & Cam sensor. Result: "no spark" & "weak injector pulse". Vehicle still would not start. Fuel Pressure OK. Since it was misbehaving badly at a very inopportune time, it got a time-out in the garage - for almost 2yrs. After said time-out, a quick jump start was all it took, and it roared to life with a vengeance. Purchased new battery and it fired up and ran smooth and strong as ever before.. minus flat spots on near new tires . For almost 1000 miles of mixed highway, city, rain, snow, sun it drove fine. Fired up almost preemptively. Then it started to misfire slightly, you could barely notice it when driving, thought maybe was the flat spotted tires. Anyway it got a little more pronounced and it started shuddering one day at low rpm and threw on the MIL light. Step on the gas to increase engine revs and the misfire would disappear. Then I let the gas go and it shuddered to a stop and hasn't run since. It was nice enought to do this on the driveway. The nearest land rover dealer is an hour away. Anyway here's some info it it helps any:

Codes I retrieved though my code reader when it threw the MIL
P0305 MIL
P1300 Pending
P0308 Pending
P0304 Pending
P0307 Pending
P0300 Pending
P0304 Pending
P0305 Pending
P0308 Pending
P0130 Pending
P0150 Pending

Compression tests range between 155-170PSI per the Repair Shop

I noticed coolant drips running down the rear end of the engine and dripping down right about where the transmission mates with the motor... and you can smell burning coolant when you drive after it sits. Bad head gasket? Are there cooland tubes up there? The cabin heater tubings are intact. Also, I unbolted the Crank Sensor (just because I was visiting down there anyway) and the protruding metal end was green as if it courts coolant on a regular basis (different brand new sensor I tried didn't change anything though). That's all I have. The vehicle is "Epsom Green" in color if that helps you help me.

Could a bad ECU do this? I thought if the ECU said goodbye it would stay dead, not come back 20+ months later good as new to tease me. Help!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Ghosts in the machine

Where are you located?
We might out to talk,
E-mail me your number or call me .
303-862-7680
Colorado any day before 8 pm.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ghosts in the machine

Forgot about this thread. For anyone wondering, it was a problem INSIDE the passenger compartment fuse box. There was voltage to the coils but somehow the connection was compromised in the fusebox so there was not enough current passing through to the coilpacks.

Testbook showed everything firing fine leading to the misdiagnosis of coils etc. When I bypassed the fusebox with a direct +ve line to the coil, the engine fired right up. One of those annoying hide-and-seek ignition faults. (That Testbook is one cool tool though!)