General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Goast IGN problem ? 99 LR RR 4.0SE early

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goast IGN problem ? 99 LR RR 4.0SE early

I can't seem to get this beast running properly ? Right now I am trying to figure out why it just dies and will not start when it is needed most ? I am not familiar with what it sounds like when you are out side the truck and just turn the key on. Sometimes it buzzes and clicks and sometimes it just clicks other times nothing at all. I did notice that the fuel rack is pressurized air at times and will start after you bleed the air and other times it has fuel just will not start until you cycle the key several times. There seems to be a new fuse box under the hood/bonnet unless that's the only thing that was kept clean ? When you are standing in front of the truck with the Bonnet/hood open and have someone turn the key to position II (run) what is it supposed to sound like ? As stated above it is different every time ? The air ride will adjust sometimes and that makes any air purge valve or any other start-up solenoid sound almost impossible to hear and DE-bug. If you turn the key from inside it BEEPS loud and makes a few other noises then dead quite. If you crank it (position 3) it may start or not ? If it starts it usually runs great but my daughter took it to a mall and said it just shut off no warning just off and when I got there it would not start. The fuel in the rack was some what high pressure air/fuel mix. My son was towing me out of the way of the cars she was blocking and the tow rope snapped, I gave it a crank and it started right up and ran all the way home ? I drained the tank and filled it with 24 gal SHELL 93 V-power because my daughter had just fueled up and I thought it might be bad gas. It ran good for another 15 miles then dead ? I just got a fuel filter, spark plugs, and wire set from RoverLand.com that will go on when it stops raining. ANY other help would be appreciated. Like the firing order
PS: 1999 Range Rover 4.0SE V8 GEMS Known as an early 99 (p38 body) with every option -- No remote key and radio will not take the "code in" using the verified code. Also what is the deal with the door key emergency code turn left and right so many numbers ? Is that the same code ?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts
Old 05-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Drifting
Default Great link thanks

Originally Posted by drowssap
I just changed the spark plugs and wires I was going to change the fuel filter but it was rusted on and I didn't have any clamps or another in line fuel filter. Compression test was even across all 8 cylinders and only had 1 plug that was tricky #5 heat shield on exhaust. ( I used a long intention and bent it down .25 of an inch)
It seems to be running much better I have my fingers crossed. The old plugs were dark brown not at all the way I am use to see plugs. Gap I set to .035 US rover north guy said that would work and I will pull one in a week to see if it is coco brown or what ?

Anyone ever use Mass Air Flow cleaner spray or should I leave it alone ?

Last edited by 1999SE40; 05-17-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added a question
Old 05-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I have never had luck with the mass air flow spray. Are you getting an MAF code?

Old 05-19-2014, 06:08 AM
Baja

i have not used it but im told the trick is the truck needs to be stone cold before and after use.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Drifting
Default Lite was on ?

Originally Posted by abran
I have never had luck with the mass air flow spray. Are you getting an MAF code?
I did reset the check engine lite after getting 2 codes P1177 and P1316. I am hoping that it was just bad gas as this is owned by a 17 year old girl. Right now it is only for around town until it proves dependable. I have to bring it to get filter changed and a lube job/wheel alignment as the front right tire is wearing funny.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Drifting
Default Spray it hot ?

The MAF cleaner tells you to spray it with hot wires ? I changed the plugs and wires and the truck ran better. My daughter started it today and it was popping and pinging so I opened the hood and saw that two plug wires were out (in line 8 coil) of the coil ? The funny thing is it was still jumping the gap like a stun gun. When I plugged in the wires they clicked into place just like when I installed them two days ago. also the air cleaner cover clips were open ?????? I think this truck is haunted ??? When it runs, it's like a tank but when it's in a bad mood it's like donkey, you can get where your going just not a good ride ???? I am going to bring it to a friend that has a shop lift so we can get it up in the air and grease it and see if anything is falling off.

Last edited by 1999SE40; 05-20-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: statement revision
Old 05-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Drifting
Default So Far So Good ? More questions ?

Originally Posted by abran
I didn't use the MAF spray but the truck seems to be running better each day. I guess it was bad gas. I have to go and get some rubber fuel line and some clamps with a new fuel filter so I can change it. I have been looking for parts locally but even my friend said find someone that knows about Range Rovers they will have a cross over chart on what you need. So I will post this in two places. I am working on an early 1999 with 4 coil system GEMS engine. I need basic parts like the belt, shocks and a table that tells what weight lube to use and where to put it ex: what does the rears use 50 or 90 weight syn. or reg. lube The transfer case oil ? Brake pads ? Does anyone have US part # When I look up the belt I get a different # from every site. I can get Gates local but I don't know what size. I will have to go with the truck take it off and match it up and that takes a lot of time. Any help please it is a 1999 early GEMS with AC

Old 05-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Baja

you should be able to pickup hoses, belts, brake pads all from the local auto parts store. there are plenty on line Atlantic British & rover North are probably the two biggest, certainly the better websites. lucky8 , BPU.

follow the link to maintenance items and fluids
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...service-29020/

Last edited by drowssap; 05-23-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Drifting
Default Land Rover Parts add 60%

I brought the belt to a big name brand auto parts place and asked if they could match it up to one on the shelf. The guy used a tool, almost like an old shoe tool it was a yard stick with two half circles one slid down the stick until the belt was tight in the groves and it gave you a size. He pulled the belt off the shelf and he said let me try and see it comes up in the computer. The belt was marked Gates K070916 $12.90 he looked it up and said Gates K070916 Serpentine Belt $39.90. Then told me it was the wrong belt and I needed the belt marked Gates K070916 Serpentine. Has anyone run into this problem ???? I need shocks and there should be a cross over out there somewhere

Quick Reply: Goast IGN problem ? 99 LR RR 4.0SE early