General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! Cant keep my Disco II running!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:16 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! Cant keep my Disco II running!!

Hey guys, new to posting but I have been reading the forum for months. I bought my 2002 Disco II about 6 months ago for 1500. 100k and perfect leather not a scratch on it i thought i got a great deal, except for the fact it ran like CRAP. I know a little about a motor so i took on the job. I replaced all the plugs and gaskets ( because there was oil on the plugs) and wires, also the coil pak (not an easy job in this 02 diso) and the battery. It ran like a dream for about 3 months bringing us to right now, I was driving down the highway and it suddenly went into limp mode, it acted like i wasent giving it gas and i couldnt get it to go very fast. after a couple of miles it just snapped out of it. It ran fine for a week or two with the occasional fit like before. Then it just decided it wouldnt stay running anymore. When I crank it it will run for a moment or two and then just drop to 0 rpms fizzle and die out. If I crank it and pump the gas I can get it to stay running for a few moments longer. No skips and does not miss a beat. runs good when i pump the gas until i let off and it dies. I thought after reading all the forums that it was the Idle air control valve. So i replaced it. 600 dollars. Not that. So i tried replacing the mass air flow valve. Not that either. another 150 dollars. So im to the point where i dont really know what to do and i am running out of money. HELP!!!
PS my wife says if i cant fix it we have to sell it!!!!!! Please help!!!!!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

On many other vehicles I've owned in the past, the need to pump the gas pedal turned out to be a fuel pump. Some, but not enough, fuel pressure. Strongly recommend fuel pressure test (so you can stop "shotgunning") before replacing fuel pump.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:12 PM
3rd Gear

Can i do a pressure test myself? Could it also be a fuel filter maybe its clogged up?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

First, download the factory shop manual, called the RAVE. Has lots of good info. Like the fact that fuel filter and pump and fuel pressure regulator are one unit in the tank. The fuel pressure test port is driver side rear and below the top section of the intake, hard to get at.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:06 PM
3rd Gear

thank you so much for your help i have finally removed the carpet from the rear and found how to get at the fuel pump. i will attempt to remove it now and let you know what happens. if you have any tips for me please let me know.