General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP engine rebuild in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:15 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP engine rebuild in Egypt

Hi

I am looking for some advice regarding the rebuilding of a 200TDI 110 Land Rover Defender engine. I am currently living in Egypt with my 1993 vehicle. It has had a major breakdown and intial diagnosis indicates that the engine will require rebuilding as one of the cylinders has broken.
It is difficult here to find both the parts required and an honest, reliable mechanic to rebuild the engine and I am desperately seeking some advice regarding the following:
- Approximate cost of 4 new pistons and related gaskets and seals in the uk and a new oil pump.
- Likely cost and time involved in transporting these parts to Cairo.
- An estimate of how much time it should take an experienced mechanic to carry out the work and how much this work would cost if carried out by a suitably qualified mechanic in the UK.
I would also really value your advice as to whether this work is something which is worth undertaking on a vehicle of this age (170,000 miles), bearing in mind that I have already replaced the gear box, clutch & radiator and invested a lot of money previously kitting it out as a fully equipped safari vehicle. In light of this I would really like to hold onto the car as it is the perfect vehicle for this country (superb offroading opportunities) and it would be extremely difficult to replace.
Thanks you for your help - I would really appreciate any advice you can give me on any of the above points at your earliest opportunity.
Wishing you a happy festive period.

Viv

Old 12-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HELP engine rebuild in Egypt

Best bet for the parts would be http://www.paddockspares.com they'll ship Worldwide.

If it were my car, I'd rebuild the engine - failing that I'd at least replace it with another Tdi, bearing in mind they're relatively easy to lay ones hands on in the UK as there's a lot of rusty Disco 1's out there with perfectly serviceable Tdi's in them.

Don't know how long a rebuild would likely take I'm afraid, never had to do one on a Tdi.