General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! Very loud tapping at speed/under load only?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 08:20 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Very loud tapping at speed/under load only?

Ok,

Well, I will try to find a guage and get some oil readings then and see what the numbers look like for now.

Thanks,

John

Old 11-01-2006, 12:03 AM
4wd Low

UPDATE:

I had a friend that was a mechanic take another look with me.

It finally is at the point where it will make the sound while stopped if it has started and I keep a load on the engine. He looked under the hood while it was happening and saw the asbestos weave or whatever it is on the secondary air pipe was flapping in time with it.. It seemed if you put a hose down there that exhaust or combustion gas was coming from somewhere near the air pipe, head bolt (which also had some discoloration from carbon around it, and the exhaust manifold.

So, I changed the manifold gaskets and examined the manifold and ddid not see any cracks or discolorations. Changing gasket made no difference and it deffinetly seems sound is coming from around that head bolt.

Wierd because neither I or the two mechanics I had look at it thought it was exhaust, but now that you can see and hear it at stop it is deffinetly gasses making the sound.

So. Looks like this weekend I will be taking off the heads with a friend and checking if it is a stretched bolt, head gasket, head issue.

Any advice on taking the heads on and off and changing gaskets? I am going to order a full gasket kit and headbolt kit so I have all the gaskets and bolts needed. Was wondinring if anyone had some advice on procedure/shortcuts or tricks other than what I have in the RAVE C. I did notice while making sure secondary air pipe was tigh at the large brass nut connecting it too the air/manifold adapter that it seemed to want to twist the pipe to the point I was worried about breakage. Also tricks to getting head off/gaskets on and what really needs to come off the top and what really doesnt. Any special tools for fuel lines and the like?

Thanks alot for all the imput on this. Im hoping this gets to the bottom of it once and for all this weekend.

John

Old 11-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a great price on the head gasket kit that includes all the new head bolts (which are stretch bolts intended for a single use only). You "index" these bolts when re-fitting the cylinder heads, not just torque them to a final value. I suggest you go to my site and read the tech info under "powertrain". One thing to check for when you pull the heads is to carefully inspect the threads in the block. We have seen a number of blocks over the years where someone overtorqued the head bolts, and ended up "pulling" threads out of the aluminum block. Then what happens ---is that the head gasket blows in that area where the clamping force is gone. It sounds like a exhaust leak with a whistle sound to it.

The unfortunate part is that only sometimes can the block be fixed with a heli-coil insert.

You can PM me if you need more details. Please read my tech info pages related to the powertrain at www.eurotekapg.com for a good primer on what to look for.

Regards,
Geoman
eurotek apg

Old 11-02-2006, 12:28 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Geoman,

I actually already ordered all the parts already, but thanks

I was also planning on cleaning the bolt holes with a round nylon brush or chaser if needed just in case. Seems like good advice.

John

Old 02-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Drifting

I have a 96 Disco,I had same problem,seems the head gasket blew,only effects the compression,no leaks of oil or coolant