General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

High pitched whine at 70-75mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched whine at 70-75mph

First, thanks for any assistance with this. My LR Disco is a 2000 model with 56k on the odo.

I recently had my transfer case replaced (at 46k miles) because, in all likelihood, the 30k service wasn't performed (bought used with 44k miles). The indicator of a problem was a high-pitched whine at hwy speeds, the longer I drove the more notable the whine.

Now, with 10k on the new transfer case, I'm hearing the same high-frequency whine, generally between 70 and 80 mph. Note that it lessens when letting up on the accelerator, and vanishes when letting off the accelerator completely. Is it possible my transfer case is going again after only 10k? And if so, any ideas why?

Or, are there other issues I should consider? I had the transmission serviced when the trnsfr case was replaced (46k) so I'm hoping it's not that.

Don't have much mechanical aptitude, so would appreciate anyone's thoughts/ideas/insight.

Thanks for the help,
Larry

Old 04-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: High pitched whine at 70-75mph

All Rover's t/cases have a little whiney to them just because they are an all geared case, not chain driven.
Are you sure it is the t/case, have you checked and rebuilt your front drive shaft yet, they can do this noise also.
Crawl under and see if the u-joints in the double cardon that hooks to the t/case have grease fittings, if they don't, I would suggest you get it rebuilt asap even if it is not the problem,cause when it fails, and they all do, it can destroy the tranny at the same time.
Mike

Old 04-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Drifting

Mike, thanks, haven't looked underneath it yet. I'll look at it and ask my mechanic (a very knowledgable guy) to consider the rebuild you're talking about.

Appreciate the quick reply,
Larry

Old 05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
WGM
Overlanding

I know this is going to sound crazy, but just listen to this ...

I have a 2002 Disco II, and I also get a little bit of that high pitched whine at higher speeds... and it's exactly as you described - meaning that when you step on the accelerator, it gets a little louder, and when you let off the accelerator it goes away...

So ... try this. Turn off your radio completely, and then go drive at the higher speeds and see if that noise is there... for me, it goes away ... which leads me to believe that it's engine noise coming thru your stereo speakers. I'm planning on adding one of those noise filters to the power line of my stereo to see if it gets rid of the noise ...

Now, I don't know enough about the drive systems of vehicles, much less of the Land Rovers ... but it seems to me that if you heard a whine at that rate of speed, it wouldn't be due to stepping on or letting off the accelerator ... because either way, the gears and drive shaft(s) are still moving at the same rate of speed whether or not you're rev'ing the engine up ... but then again, like I said, I can't say that for sure ... I'd be willing to bet that Disco Mike knows more about this and can give us some insight...

Old 05-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Drifting

Appreciate the feedback; will try the stereo option this weekend. Will hope that Disco Mike checks in with his thoughts as well.

Thanks,
Larry

Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Two thoughts about Rover drive train noise. With a full gear t/case Rover is known to whine, because it it is a full time 4wheel drive system you can also get a clunk in the drive train if you back off of the gas and then hit the gas again.
Also we are blessed with a cheaply built front drive shaft from Rover, the double cardon joint that contains 2 non serviciable u-joints will get noise and vibrate then fail which can take out the tranny also. If your u-joints don't have grease fittings, get the shaft rebuilt ASAP with # 344 u-joints with grease fittings.
If that shaft fails a high way speeds it can cost upwards of $7000 to make the repairs.
Mike

Old 05-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Mike, many thanks for weighing in. I'm off to my mechanic to discuss the front end fix.

Apprecate the quick and informative help from this forum... will continue to visit here.

Larry

Old 05-01-2007, 10:44 PM
WGM
Overlanding

Mike ... what kind of work/cost are we talking about to replace the factory U-Joints with the #344 joints? Is this something I could do myself, or is this a job for a well trained pro? thanks,

Trey

Old 05-02-2007, 02:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: LMcInnis

Now, with 10k on the new transfer case, I'm hearing the same high-frequency whine, generally between 70 and 80 mph. Note that it lessens when letting up on the accelerator, and vanishes when letting off the accelerator completely. Is it possible my transfer case is going again after only 10k? And if so, any ideas why?
I have 140K. The rear driveshaft was replaced at 70K, but Ihad a U-joint going out recently. I have checked the front, and it is ok. I replaced the rear and the noise went away. It was a whine at about 30 and again about 60. Only under load. If I mashed it, it was quieter, and if I let off, it went away totally. I would have both shafts checked, and as Mike said, if you don't have fittings in the front, replace them soon. IF they break, the front shaft will just slap around and take out your tranny. Bad news. Also have the front/rear diffs checked and oil changed if you didn't already.