General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to tell if it's my thermostat or fan clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I replaced the water pump, fan clutch, and thermostat, and still over heats. So I took off the fan shroud, and ran it till it got hot, cut it off, and put my hand on the radiator, the top was warm, but the bottom was cold like it hadn't been running. I ordered a radiator should be here tomorrow , hope this fixes the problem.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Always check the belt route after repairs.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Drifting

HELP!!!!!!!!!Ok I have replaced the fan clutch, water pump, thermostat, and radiator. AND IT'S STILL RUNNING HOT!!!!!! I let it run in the driveway for 45 minutes, no over heat. Drove less than a 1/4 of a mile at 35 mph and BAM overheat! No white smoke from the exhaust. I'm very confused! Can anyone help?

Old 04-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Drifting

Also should the fan be harder to turn by hand when the car is hot or cold?

Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Should be a little firm in both conditions. Like peanut butter inside clutch. Should not freewheel (spin more than one revolution) when released. The clutch is firm at cold start up, makes a "roar" for a short time. Fluid that was pooled against one side is spread out, clutch goes from 70-80% coupling to about 20% coupling. MPG improves. When faceplate of clutch heats back up from air flow at center of radiator, the clutch begins to go back to 70-80% coupling. Faceplate has to be like 160-180 degrees for this to take place.

Please check:

1. Fan blades - cupped side toward block, a plastic bag should be sucked against grille at idle, not blown away. Tey with electric fan running also, could be hooked up backwards (reversed polarity).

2. Belt route - very common for this to be wrong after all that work, and water pump runs backwards. Fan as well, so it blows into radiator instead of sucking thru radiator. At modest speeds this (plus) and (minus) = zero airflow in the radiator core and overheat happens.

Range Rover 4.0/4.6 | '95 - '99 (Gems Engine)
Have you removed the belt and can't remember how it goes?

After this you start getting into head gaskets, cracked block, etc.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-26-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Drifting

Is it possible for exhaust gas in the cooling system without having white smoke from the exhaust pipe, or water in the oil/oil in the water? Thanks

Old 04-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, and it can make hoses rock hard, steam shoot into coolant bottle, gurgle noises in heater core under dash. Can be head gasket or cracked block behind a liner. There is a chemical test for this, about $50, does maybe 15 tests. Changes color when exhaust gas is present. So it can prove things are OK after repairs as well.

Some people install various coolant system "stopz leakz" with the theory that the main ingredient in many (sodium silicate, or "water glass") will turn into a ceramic glass-like seal when exposed to high heat at the point of the leak. Most find it is a temporary fix. Many vehicles make it to auction this way.

Attached Thumbnails How to tell if it's my thermostat or fan clutch?-block_test_fluid.jpg  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Drifting

How long of a temporary fix do the "stop leakz" offer on average?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

If you believe their ad copy, it can be forever. In real-ville, the material may get you back home. Problem is that the material also tries to stop up the cooling system, so old radiators and heater cores can plug up.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Well, my hoses get rock hard when it heats up, and a lot of bubbles and air comes out of res tank. So am I to assume that I have a head issue? Thanks

Quick Reply: How to tell if it's my thermostat or fan clutch?