General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

im stumped

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation im stumped

Ok so i changed my oil today and started up my disco now i have a steady tick it was not there before the oil change can someone give me a idea as what to do ?
its a 99 4.0

Last edited by skezixx; 10-09-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What oil and filter did you use?
What was in it before?
Brand and weight.
Did you add enough oil?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

And how often do you change it?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Based on the information provided - oil / filter change, new engine noise, oil re-fill level is key (is it where it should be on stick - or leaking out)? Also rare possibility of bad new filter, or old gasket turned around on oil base, restricting flow. Might want to change filter again - different brand perhaps, like Mobile 1, Wix, etc. But if my truck was making a new louder noise - I think I would not drive until I was sure that there was oil pressure and what was making the noise - what part of engine does it come from (listen thru stick or stethoscope)? One possibility is broken oil pump, have had posts of them in several pieces, still make some pressure. There's a mechanical gauage test you can do cold and warm, idle and 2500 rpm.

As to oil weight - my Kia specs 5W20, but that won't do for a Disco. Above 15 F lots of people run 15W40 Shell Rotella as a basic dino oil.

If oil change caused old junk from infrequent changes to come out in the oil, it may have clogged up the intake screen in the sump from oil pump. Drain and change again, or drop pan is about the only way out of that one. But Harbor Freight does have an $80 inspection camera, I bet it could poke thru the oil drain plug hole and maybe get a look at the pickup screen. Another tool for the ever lazy shade tree mechanic...

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-09-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Drifting

ok i just got her last week so i do not know what was in it before i used shell 10 w 40 and some Lucas Oil the filter is a fram

sounds like it is coming from the top end around the middle of the valve cover

i have a lil mech exuberance but to be honest my dad did most of it for me he ran a shop my whole life and recently passed so i am on my on with this one and i am new to land rovers im a A.M.C guy owned and built the javelin i have now but know nothing about rovers

Last edited by skezixx; 10-09-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

miles on engine?

At this point, the cheapest thing to do is check oil level. The next cheapest is change filter (some people swear by Fram, some swear at them). If you want to do an oil pressure test, the auto parts stores usually rent/loan out the kits, they refund your money when you bring it back.

You will find a number of things that can cause a ticking noise, including SAI, oil pump, slipped liner, etc. The Lucas you speak of is the "oil stabilizer" that you add to oil, as opposed to Lucas brand motor oil?

Tech section has things to do for new to u Rovers and 60K or more miles service.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Drifting

yes Savannah Buzz that would be the oil stabilizer and i will check the oil pressure in the morning im sure there is the appropriated tool in the barn somewhere is there a problem with the oil stabilizer being used ?
ohh and the mileage is 112 k

Last edited by skezixx; 10-09-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, IMHO Lucas is good stuff when used in correct proportion. I did try straight Lucas (almost) in a gearbox for a bush hog, it foamed up and looked like mayonaise. But I have been using it in my vehicles at home and work for 10+ years.

see this post https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-solved-44153/, I believe he may have started out with an ATF oil flush, which made tick go away, but it returned...

You may want to listen to where tick is coming from, if front cover, perhaps oil pump would be suspect. Also, buy an 8mm 12 point deepwell socket to snug up the valve cover bolts every oil change, they'll work loose and let gasket leak.

But at this point you have not told us where the tick seems to come from.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Also, as a new owner, you'll want to download the factory tech manuals, called the RAVE, at the link below.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Change your oil again, this time DO NOT use the Lucas Oil Stabilizer, if you need a oil treatment than you need to switch to a different oil.
I am going to bet the Lucas is causing this, that snake oil is a oil thickener, so you oil is to thick and it cannot be pumped through the engine correctly.
Again, change the oil and filter to get all of that crap out of there.

Quick Reply: im stumped