General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermitent Heater and A/C Fan Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 12:52 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitent Heater and A/C Fan Issues

I have an 02 Freelander with 75K miles on it. The A/C fan seemed to stop working for a while like it had a short in it. It then began working again as if there were no problems. Then it seemed to stop working again. I say "seemed" to stop, because the fan seems to be turning very slowing even at the highest setting.

At the same time the vehicle got low on anti-freeze and I had to add about a half gallon of pre-mix once, and then about a 1/4 gallon. However, that was about 3 - 4 full tanks ago, and I have not had the level drop below normal since. However, I do occassionaly get the sweet smell of antifreeze.

So my question to anyone is this.
Are the problems somehow related, and if so what might it be.
If not how do I get my fan working again, might it be the switch or the blower fan motor and if so how hard is it to replace the blower fan motor?

What might the cooling issue be from? I did do a search and seems it could be thermostat, head gasket or a lose hose.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Intermitent Heater and A/C Fan Issues

pull the dash install new heater core and blower fan assy

Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 PM
4wd Low

Some wires or coils has been burnt. So you should change those coils and wires. There is also a possibility that the capacitor of your A/C fan has some problem. Hence you should show it to some expert.

For the antifreeze smell, you can have your radiator pressure tested to see if it has any tiny leaks. This can happen over time and leave no telltale signs of a leak in your driveway or garage floor.

land rover range rover 4.6se radiator:

Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heater core notorious for leakig directly onto blower motor, look at lower right side of drivers footwell, see orange goo?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 PM
4wd Low

I had a similar problem with my 99 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. The AC compressor clutch would not kick in for a while on cold sart. After about a mile or two of driving it would engage. I finally narrowed it down to a Relay ubder the hood. Some of the relays were getting extremely hot. A few had gotten so hot they were discolored. I replaced the relay(s) and have had no more problems. Check the relays for discoloration from heat.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 AM
6th Gear

You should show it to the expert, there is a possibility that the capacitor has a problem,or some wires has been burned..so you could change it..we had similar problem...Ive just replaced my coils and wires last month with rover Canada .