General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

heater fan noise and heating issues on disco II

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:39 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater fan noise and heating issues on disco II

Hi,

recently my 1999 Disco II's fan became very noisy after the 3rd fan speed. the full speed sounds as if an airplane is about to land! but 1-3 fan speed is not so bad. I have also noticed that heater doesnt heat up properly if the car is idling and I am not pressing on the gas pedal. But once I am on the highway, the heat is working fine.

My question is what part would I need to change to get rid of the noisey fan.. (just the blower? or is there anything else I need to change?) Also why doesnt the heater heat up when idling.. if I keep the car running for 30 mins even, it would not get warm unless I rev the engine up at over 2000 rpm!

any suggestions??

Thank you in advance

Old 12-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: heater fan noise and heating issues on disco II

You need to get whatever is stuck in the blower motor out and hopefully that will fix it otherwise you will have to replace the blower motor.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 PM
7th Gear

Thanks again Mike for your response. After reading lots of threads on here, I checked the coolant level today and topped it off. For the noise I know I have to get a local garage to open it up and check to see if anything is stuck in the blower. However, the big concern I have is why the heater on a running truck which is parked and idling does not heat up the truck. I let the disco run for about 15 minutes tonight..then went in the car and the windows were still frosted and cold air was coming out.. the moment I pressed the gas pedal, warm air began coming in..

What could be the problem?

Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Mudding

sounds like an air pocket in the system,you need to suck it down with an air lifter and top it off with coolant

Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

I agree, you have a coolant leak which has allowed an air bubble to form in the engine so there will be no heat at an idle.
Need to bleed the coolant system a couple of times over the next day or two and that will fix your heat problem.
By the way, as a side note, don't let your truck idle for more then a minute or you are going to foul out your oil.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 AM
7th Gear

Hi again

How easy/difficult is it to replace the noisey heater blower? I am no mechanic but would like to tackle this if not too difficult..

Thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

On what vehicle?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 AM
7th Gear

Hi Disco Mike..
its a 99 Disco II. I believe the blower is under the glove compartment on the passenger side.. as I mentioned earlier, once the fan is set to 3 and above , the fan becomes very noisey as a plane is about to take off..

Old 05-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: hooman

I let the disco run for about 15 minutes tonight..then went in the car and the windows were still frosted and cold air was coming out.. the moment I pressed the gas pedal, warm air began coming in..

What could be the problem?
Here is another thought to add to the others..check the condition and tightness of your fan belt. Sometimes, when they are cracked (hard to see) they will not turn the water pump and only do so when the rpm is increased. That will make the car overheat at idle but the cabin will stay cold as there is nothing circulating through the heater or rad. As soon as you rev, the engine cools down and the cabin heats up.

James