General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Key won't work in door. Locked out of disco

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the problem. The key won't go all the way in the door. It goes 3/4 of the way in and will not turn at all. It's as if the key isn't the right key now or something. It is odd. It will not go into the lock more than 3/4 of the way.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 AM
4wd Low

But my key will not go into the lock all the way. Therefore it won't turn. I will try the wd 40. After that what are my options? Do I have to tow it to a dealership or would a land rover specialty shop be able to open it and the replace the part that is keep the key from entering the lock?

Feel free to call me to ask questions. 970 219 3369. As I know this is convoluted.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

sounds like the lock my have dropped a pin (tumbler) and it is laying in the keyway not allowing the key to side all the way in (happens with house locks all the time). You should replace the fob battery and hope that will unlock the door, since you let the actuators die one by one there is no way to get the other doors open at this point.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go to the cargo door and open that with the key and then crawl over the seats.
If your door lock broke, which is very possible, you will need a new one.
Once fixed you must lube all door locks and latches every 6 months, this is a must for all cars.
If it moves it needs lubed.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Baja

DII does not have a place to insert a key in the rear cargo door, if it does I have never found mine?

Old 10-31-2011, 11:59 AM
4wd Low

My cargo door doesn't have a key entrance.

I just talked to JC 4x4 repair here in Denver. They said the locking mechanism is broken and that I will need to get it towed in. It is in park and their towing company can disengage park from underneath. They said the part should be $124.00 and labor is approximately $96.00 an hour. I get a 10% the service due to working with veterans. So we are looking at approximately $500 with reprogramming, parts and labor. Does this sound right?

Now the fun part. It is in my apartment garage and the towing companies 10 foot high truck cannot clear the 8 ft 2 inches of height for the garage. They want to possibly wench it to the entrance. Advice? lol...life is fun...

Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Baja

I would think a used door lock w/key and a window would cost less than $500 at a salavge yard. Have you spent the $5 on a battery for the fob yet? The towing company doesnt own a set of GO Jacks to put under it and roll it to the entrance? What are they going to do when they get it to the entrance drag it up onto a flatbed? they do realize it is a fulltime 4 wheel drive.

Last edited by drowssap; 10-31-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:31 PM
4wd Low

Ok. Cancelling the tow appt for noon. I think I can find a used part from this guy on craigslist whom is parting out his disco. I will try the key fob battery first. WHO knows...maybe I will get lucky. I will update later....any more advice would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!!! I need a boyfriend for this crap!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Would advise against any dragging or towing or pulling up ramp of truck without wheel free and turning. Can cause plenty of damage. That's what they make dollies and shop wheels for, you jack up the truck and place them under it. Even if it did not tear up your transfer case and other things, your tires would have great flat spots from being dragged. And a whole door at a salvage yard runs like $75 - $100 where I am, the kind where you pull the parts yourself. I was thinking about having a glass shop remove the side rear window, etc. That might be another option, rubber gasket cheaper than door....

Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Full time 4x4 needs to either have the transmission put in neutral so it can be "dragged" onto a flat bed, or both driveshafts need to be removed so it can be flatbedded or pulled onto a dolly.

I forgot that the DII does not have a key on the cargo door, my mistake.

Quick Reply: Key won't work in door. Locked out of disco