General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lag in power at 65mph?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lag in power at 65mph?

Hi guys, I just bought a 2004 disco se7 with 115k and all is smooth so far but I have one slight issue. The truck accelerates to 65 as it should but once you cruise at 65 for a bit then ask it for more it is almost shuddering a bit and lagging before responding and speeding up. It seems underpowered and I am just wondering about what it could be. Any thoughts?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Hope it is not fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, or fuel pump - those are all inside one expensive module in the gas tank.

If no codes, that would be good.

Air filter?

Clean throttle body (that is the big thing with a big hose on it, looks like a metal disc "butterfy valve" inside there, use a special spray cleaner for that (not soap and water). DON'T clean MAF (mass air flow) sensor between air filter and throttle body unless you read a lot more about it.

Spark plugs and new plug wires.

Run premium good quality gasoline.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:36 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the quick reply. So I already did the air filter and replaced all the plugs with performance platinum from Bosch. Plug Wires are not done yet so that may be it. Was about half full at the time sink topped up with supreme gas so it might fix itself after that gets through system.

Also no codes yet so ok on that front. If the fuel pump or fuel regulator was going would it definitely show a CEL and a code?

I will do the throttle body soon and also see if that does anything. If not any other possible solutions?

Thanks again

Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do your wires, clean the t/body, do an induction cleaning and throw a can of 44K into the tank. Then go drive the crap out of it and get back to us.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 PM
4wd Low

I will probably clean the throttle body anyways and put some 44k in the tank, but the check engine light is now on always and blinks when I get on the highway and out my foot down for more power to pass or maintain 70 up a hill. I will either buy a code reader and throw the code on here or I will get it read by the local mechanic. Any suggestions on a good value code reader or are they all the same? Also does the light blinking in that particular scenario mean anything? Thanks again.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

1. Flashing CEL means read code soon. Stop by your favorite auto parts store and they usually read codes for free.

2. Code readers come in a wide variety, you want one that can read live data as well, like coolant temp. The higher priced ones with 1,000's of codes and what they mean is not as much use, as Rover codes may be slightly different, but they are in the RAVE, etc. Another item to check out is an Ultra Gauge, which can display data and may have some code read / reset capability. Code scanners can be used on any modern car like 96 and on, so you can read friends and family. A lot of shops charge $50 - 90 just to read the codes...

Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If the check engine light is flashing that means you are doing serious damage to the truck, usually from multiply misfires, you need new plug wires ASAP.
You said you already did the plugs.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 AM
4wd Low

Thanks guys for the info. I have stopped running the car but I had to get it home so I drove it for about 180 miles with the engine light solid, but flashing every once in a while when I tried to accelerate. I will be bringing it to a mechanic for a code read and putting on a new set of wires anyways, but what type of damage could I be causing and should I be looking for. It is still under warranty so if this problem caused a massive breakdown of anothe part such as the cat converter then I could get that covered under Massachusetts state warranty laws. Thanks again

Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

multiple misfire P0300
damage to CATS P1300

Any code should be looked at, these may be what you will find.

Text from Rover code manual:

If the sum of cylinder misfire incidents exceeds a predetermined value the diagnostic trouble code for indicating catalyst damage relevant misfiring is stored and the MIL is illuminated at once (flashing).

Old 11-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You drove 180 miles when told to go get the codes read to prevent damage, what is your problem.
Go to you local parts store, "TODAY", and get the codes read, then post the 3 or 4 digit fault code numbers on the site.

Quick Reply: Lag in power at 65mph?