General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lag in power at 65mph?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:35 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see why you are confused Mike but thats not what I meant. What happened was on the way home the lag occured, I posted my original post where there was no lights, then further on in the trip home the lights came on and started flashing and I knew it was an issue but I was in the middle of nowhere with a brand new car without any side of the road service plan on it yet. So I continued home, and then posted about the warning lights flashing and haven't driven since. I am quite aware I am not the most knowledgable about landies so when I am told to stop driving, I stop driving. It's on its way to the garage for code reading and diagnosing and if it is more than just a new wire or crossed wires than I am using Mass law and making the bastard who played it off pay for the repairs. I am also getting an ultra gauge on the advice of Buzz and will be doing the 44k and throttle assembly cleaning, but please let this be a wire issue and not cat damaged have occured.

Two people you don't try and rip off, the mafia and lawyers.

Last edited by northernlilywhite; 11-10-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Or the Mafia's lawyers... my luck would be to cross the one with Jimmy Hoffa's wrist watch in his desk drawer...

Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM
4wd Low

Buzz, although I did just watch innerspace this past weekend I think I will probably be a bit more vicious than the film character if this guy (the seller) plays games with me over the repairs.

I will post the codes here as soon as I get them, but worst case scenario is what?

Totally screwed cat converter since excess gas got into it? How much are we looking at if the mechanic is an honest guy and repairs the damage caused by bad wires causing multiple misfires for a period of driving.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Wait until you get the codes, and do what ever minor repair is needed. Misfires can be the result of plug wires that are old and a little brittle, if it was pitch black dark outside, you could mist them with water and maybe see blue sparks off to nearby metal. Changing to a good grade silicone 8mm wire clears up gremilns. May not have damage to CATs that would keep codes coming back.

Consider yourself in the lucky group. Recent posters include an owner with a LR3, who drove 10 hours, only to find that front differential drain plug had dropped out. Stuck in Montana. Another new owner blew head gasket day after purchase, a great oozing out the sides all around the head failure, and sucked it up, has been rebuilding engine ever since. In his state, no legal recourse.

Breathe deep, count to ten. If still boiling, better make it a hundred...

Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 AM
4wd Low

Alright guys, so the landie mechanic came back to me after checking out the disco and running the codes.

Basically, the old owners put in plugs which although ok... are not really right for the vehicle. Also the wires (as you all guessed) were thrashed.

The repeeated misfiring has messed up the coil but so far nothing about the cat so lets pray he doesn't find anthing. Bottom line is the guy wants to replace one coil, the full set of plugs, full set of wires and he says to do the coil says he needs to take off the manifold but its not a big deal as far as time wise.

What is your thoughts on this and how many hours labour should he be charging?

It is a brand new car to me so I have yet to delve into its oily core but plan on becoming quite confortable with the vehicle as soon as it gets the first necessary parts dealt with quickly.

Let me know what you think, also I am going to make the cheeky bastard who sold me the car with bad plugs and wires pay for all the repairs.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

See page attached from RAVE, if he is changing a coil it looks pretty tight back there. Mechanic would have to quote the labor, one would think that if intake has to come off, it would be a good time to run a pressure test on the fuel pump system. The D2 has the fuel pump, filter, and regulator all in one unit in the tank. The schrader valve to test it is hard to get to because it is under the rear corner of the manifold. A quick pressure test will tell you if fuel pump is almost toast. Spec is 50 psi on a D2.

May also make it easier to inspect Seconday Air Injection parts, if so equipped.

Fuel pump and wiring for it was just quoted to another forum member by a dealer at $2500....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coils.PDF (327.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 intake.PDF (746.3 KB, 198 views)
Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 AM
4wd Low

But with the right tools and the pump, couldn't you do the pump yourself in a day for less than $150?? I mean the fuel pump isnt that pricey I thought.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The fuel pump can be replaced in about a hour with basic tools and alittle knowledge or the ability to follow directions.
You need to remove the intake on the DII to change the plug wires anyway, so doing the coil should be no extra labor.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yes on doing it for less than a dealer. Another member went to a high end dealer and was quoted $2500 fo a fuel pump and wiring. Some dealers may charge less, but they can't beat your price at home.