General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Major Ignition Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Ignition Issue

I have an 04 Range Rover, and I am having some major trouble with it. It all started about 2 weeks ago, when my dog chewed on my only key. I found it on the ground, covered in spit, and unable to function. I went down to my car and proceeded to drive away. I was able to make a quick couple mile errand, and then return. When I returned I locked the car by means of the outside door handle locks. Next morning, I unlocked the car from the handle and tried to start it, but the key would not turn in the ignition. Immediately I thought it was the key malfunctioning, since it was chewed a day before by my dog; however, when I spoke with the dealership they mentioned it was more likely my battery being dead. I then brought my battery in, and when the tester verified it would not even take a charge, I replaced it. Again, the key would not turn in the ignition though.

I am unsure what to do. I have read that this could be a problem with the key. Being that is was chewed, and the microchip was essentially fried, it could be unable to emit the small code to the car allowing the ignition to fire. Although, I have heard that if it were not receiving the code, it would simply allow the key to turn infinitely in the ignition with no results instead of not allowing it to even move.

I also have heard that when changing the battery, the security system can go through a series of procedures resulting in a lockout of sorts. I have heard that unless you have a working remote that can transmit to the car, you may be locked out of your land rover after changing the battery. The only remedy I have heard for this is an "EKA" code, which is attainable from dealers. The only problem is that my dealer won't give it to me because he does not think the security system needs to be over-ridden to fix the problem.

My only other option is a bad ignition switch. I have heard that the range rover sports have this problem in 06, but have not heard too much about it with full bodied rovers. I have also been told that this would be at least 600-700 in parts and labor.

If anyone has any help or knowledge to offer, please let me know.

1. Could it be the battery replacement?
2. Could it be the chewed key?
3. Could it be the ignition switch?
4. Could it be both in combination?
5. What is an 04 Range Rover's EKA code?
6. What does a key being unable to even just move in the ignition usually mean?

Thanks all

Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Major Ignition Issue

My guess is that the key is damadged, there is an encoder ring at the ignition switch that senses the key when you insert it. the key may just need to be reprogrammed, but the dealer will have totry this.