General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

more oil ... whats this??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more oil ... whats this??

well, found another [small] puddle of oil under the disco today (2004 Discovery II). last time i found a puddle, i got really lucky (thread), but typically oil issues are quite expensive so hopefully ill be lucky again! Once again, i come to the community for some help.

there are no signs at all of oil leak anywhere on the top side of the engine. When i go down below, i see fresh oil coming from the plastic oil filter cover. took that off and peak around, couldnt see much with the limited visibility that the little hole permits. so i decided to try to take off the whole plastic "skid plate" that covers the underside. removed 5 screws and it was completely free. but i cant get it out of the way. try to slide it forward, and all the suspension components are in the way. try back, and the front diff is in the way. i imagine if i jack it up it may come out easily, anyone know if it can be done while on the ground?

ok moving on. while fighting with this thing to get it out, a little screw clamp fell out and hit the floor. maybe this is whats causing my oil issue, maybe not. anybody recognize this?

more oil ... whats this??-img_0992.jpg

so i realize there is very little info in here about my actual oil leak problem. but if anyone has any info on removing this plastic piece from under the engine, or what this clamp is, that may help get me going in the right direction. as always, thanks everyone!

Old 08-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

My D2 never had the plastic pan because some previous owner was kind enough to get rid of it for me so I can't help you there but that clamp is most likely not the source of your oil leak. That is probably off the cooling side.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
that clamp is most likely not the source of your oil leak. That is probably off the cooling side.
yea i figured as much. still wanna figure out where exactly it came from, so i know if it needs to be replaced.

anyone else? ideas on removing the "skid plate"?

Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Overlanding

so i was able to remove that plastic piece. it now lives in the dumpster, as i see no real reason to attempt to put it back in. I used the stock jack sitting on a 4x4 block of wood, under the body mount behind the front passenger side wheel. Once i raised the suspension a little bit, i got a little more flexibility to remove it. it still put up a pretty good fight.

i am finding no evidence of where that clamp may have come from. still in search of the oil leak...

Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Baja
Received 719 Likes on 624 Posts

Maybe check the Oil filter? Was it recently changed? Possibly the rubber ring from the old one stayed on and you have 2 on there?

Just a guess. Also could be the oil pan gasket.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by abran
Maybe check the Oil filter?
Dont know what kind of ESP you have, but i want some too! I recently brought it in for some service, which required they also do an oil change. Sure enough, drip,drip,drip from the filter. Just did another oil change, and oil drips seems to have stopped. whew!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Baja
Received 719 Likes on 624 Posts

I'm here all week, tip your waitress and try the Roast Beef!!!