General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My Classic needs some refinement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default My Classic needs some refinement.

I just took a 500 mile trip with my RRC to Utah. This is the second time I've taken this on a decent time trip this month. Also the second time the wife has not joined me. One of the main reasons I own this truck is to take it to the surrounding awesomeness that is the west. So it has to be good on the highway. It has to be good offroad. Both of those goals are pretty close to being achieved.

One thing I didn't expect was the need to make this truck a bit more wife friendly. There is only so many times I'm gonna be able to jet out of time solo.

I'm left with a few choices. I can sell my truck and buy a late model truck. Later Rover preferably. Or I can spend some time to make mine better.

When I was driving I was going up mountain passes in the triple temps. I was paranoid about mechanical failure or overheat. Which made me start thinking of what I'd need to bring my other half on these trips.

AC. I've actually got my ac working great. Blows ice cold. However...the delivery is crap. Lots of fan not alot of air. Almost none from side vents. I'll need to check all the ducts out. But for some reason I'm scared to use it when I want it most. I'm scared this will push the truck into overheating. Especially with how hot it gets here. 110 and traffic jams scare me. Am I being silly? Anyone else use their AC w out issue?

Cabin needs to be quieter. I'm thinking I may line the floor w a heat/sound barrier. I've been looking for D2 weather stripping.

I need more power. This truck is painfully slow. Especially uphill. I have a Defender LT230 case going it with a final ratio of 4:1. I'm really hoping this solves my pep problem. I don't want or need it to be fast. Just be able to get up a hill not in 2nd gear scaring the crap out of me at 4.5k+ RPM

I need my windows Re tinted. It's really hot in this thing and my light tint isn't cutting it. Constantly feel like I'm cooking.

Any other tips from some people who go on long trips with the wife and kids?

Old 06-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

leave earlier and drive at night

that sound barrier stuff does work nicely

Old 06-17-2015, 07:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

well the classic has a huge radiator because it hold the oil cooler and tanny cooler unfortunately half of it power is going to cool them.
you consider installing separate tranny and oil coolers of a P-38, and increase the radiator to the full opening in the header panel at the very less it will less the load on the cooling system.

I am surprised you have road noise, do you still have the factory rubber mats under the carpet? there about 3/8 to 1/2 of solid rubber.

Im sure you know three are three different fans, one for heat. two for AC, the AC only comes out of the dash vents.

Last edited by drowssap; 06-17-2015 at 08:49 AM.