General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

my rover will start up but then when i stop at the store or gas station won't crank!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my rover will start up but then when i stop at the store or gas station won't crank!

So it starts fine, but it seems like when its warmed up and I stop at the store (even the store right down the road) it won't start back up- last time it was 2 hrs before I could get it to start back up. just turns over almost sounds like its the starter or alternator. (both have been replaced..not the issue) it seems like whenever it gets warmed up and I stop it just won't turn back over. I have been told both a crankshaft sensor or the fuel relay kit..... have you guys have experience with the 2001's doing this? Thanks in advance. I love this truck. but I want it to RUN lol.

Chrissi

Old 10-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Very common for this to be the crank shaft position sensor, about $70. If you pour water on it and cool it off, it may come back to life sooner. Next time it does this, see if you have spark, if not it points to the CKP. Here's some pages on it, if DIY replace, plug it in, and let it hang before mounting. Every little spacer and washer and nut must go back in exact sequence, spacing is hyper critical.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 ckp.pdf (1.55 MB, 161 views)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QU

How do I know if I have a spark? If doesn't seem to fire up one bit just turns over.

OTE=Savannah Buzz;348381]Very common for this to be the crank shaft position sensor, about $70. If you pour water on it and cool it off, it may come back to life sooner. Next time it does this, see if you have spark, if not it points to the CKP. Here's some pages on it, if DIY replace, plug it in, and let it hang before mounting. Every little spacer and washer and nut must go back in exact sequence, spacing is hyper critical.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The easy way is to take a spare spark plug, pull off an existing plug wire, attach to that spare plug, and lay on metal manifold. Crank and check for sparks. Note that it is considered bad form to have a friend hold the plug, they will get a jolt.

If having a mechanic (shop or pal) do the work on the CKP sensor, take that previous printout with you. Also pix below of where the sensor is (inside a small cover at rear of engine).

If not taken care off, the sensor will soon not allow cranking at all.

The goal is to make Rover run right, without meeting this fellow.

Attached Thumbnails my rover will start up but then when i stop at the store or gas station won't crank!-bad-mechanic.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ckp photo.pdf (136.5 KB, 177 views)