General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need new tranmission in 2010 LR 4, 51k

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:44 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new tranmission in 2010 LR 4, 51k

Bought used 2010 LR4 5 months ago from dealer (well maintained, 49k)-- this past weekend, in the fast lane-- unable to accelerate and car went limb-- pulled over 4 lanes of traffic. Occurred several more times-- dealer tried to update control control module and said it could be a bad MAP sensor.... In the end, were told we need a new transmission. We're at 51k miles-- and quoted anywhere from 5k for a rebuilt transmission to 11k for a new one. So frustrated. This is the second lemon we bought from our dealer (first was a year of problems and finally sold/traded in for a newer). Anyone have recommendations besides painting it yellow, putting it in front of the LR dealership and writing "dead transmission at 50k"? Anyone get LR to help slightly out of warranty? We didn't buy the extended warranty as we had it for our last lemon and was crap. So frustrated.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2016, 11:42 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Where are you located? I'm guessing they are trying to sell you a trans when you don't need one.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:01 AM
4wd High

Oregon

Old 04-21-2016, 06:53 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Longch
Oregon
At the top of this section is a recommendation sticky, it shows one Indy mechanic in Oregon.

I would also post your problem in the LR3 and LR4 section. I know there are a couple guys in the LR3 section in Oregon who have GAP tools and could help diagnose as well as make more shop recommendations.

Dealers love to go to the most expensive replacement without actually diagnosing the problem.

Good luck

Old 04-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Smartest thing you can do is get your truck out of that dealership immediately.

When they see you, they see $$ signs and they assume that owners of newer Rovers don't have any mechanical knowledge or access to forums such as this to help diagnose issues...

Old 04-21-2016, 11:24 AM
4wd High

Problem is this is the 2nd dealership that has recommended a new transmission. What are my options? I'm guessing you are saying it's highly unlikely my transmission is faulty? Looking for help. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Longch
Problem is this is the 2nd dealership that has recommended a new transmission. What are my options? I'm guessing you are saying it's highly unlikely my transmission is faulty? Looking for help. Thanks!
Why would you expect dealership 1 and 2 to be any different?

People don't call them stealerships without reason.

You may well need a new transmission, but as someone already mentioned the dealership will automatically present this as being your only solution as they're in the business of selling very expensive replacement parts to people who don't know any better. A good independent is more likely to diagnose the real issue and perhaps recommend a more cost effective fix if one is available.

Either way, be prepared to dump $$ into getting this resolved... I went down the same route with an '04 Range Rover and even a good indie will need a few hours of shop time to diagnose and likely will need to drop the oil pan...

Old 04-21-2016, 11:54 AM
4wd High

By dealership-- I've taken it to two places that sell used land rovers and have a service center. Not authorized LR dealerships. Maybe my terminology is bad :/ should I take it to a independent place that just does transmissions?

Old 04-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Mudding

Do they specialize in Land Rovers? Remember, if they sell used Land Rovers, they're also not going to be as motivated to find the lowest possible cost fix when they can make more money by selling you another Rover.

Am I just incredibly cynical, or did this not cross your mind?

You need a good independent Land Rover mechanic. Not a dealer, and not someone who also sells Rovers.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Mudding

These guys are in Portland and are recommended by other forum members:

Land Rover Service Portland | Land Rover Repair

This comes form the sticky thread at the top of the Tech section help page.

Quick Reply: Need new tranmission in 2010 LR 4, 51k