General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Disco Owner-Heads up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:02 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco Owner-Heads up?

Hello all!

I just purchased from family a 2003 Disco 2 HSE with 59k. It's mint, runs and drives perfect, and has all records. Want to cover my six and make 'er last and long as I can.

Can you pro's give me a heads up as to what I should be looking out for...common serious problems or what not? I am new to Land Rovers and I just don't want to go about this blind! It's getting ready to have the 60k treatment performed based on what I have found here on the forums and I'm competent in my abilities, however I'm not afraid to ask for help when I'm learning about new vehicles which I am here!

Any input would be greatly appreciated and I will share all that I learn on my own and with the help of you guys here on the forums.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:46 AM
Rock Crawling

First thing to do on the 60K check list is your front drive shaft (prop shaft). I would check the VIN# before anything else and see what your future holds.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

03's have had a number of engine failures, so call the dealer with your vi. number and see if your is on the list of possible failures.
You will want to either rebuild or replace the front drive shaft, if it only has 1 instead of 3 grease fitting cause it will fail and take your tranny with it.
Lastly look for my 60K service list in the Discovery section and do the entire list. If you have any questions, shout.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
03's have had a number of engine failures, so call the dealer with your vi. number and see if your is on the list of possible failures.
You will want to either rebuild or replace the front drive shaft, if it only has 1 instead of 3 grease fitting cause it will fail and take your tranny with it.
Lastly look for my 60K service list in the Discovery section and do the entire list. If you have any questions, shout.
Thanks a lot for the intel Disco Mike! That's exactly the kinda stuff I'm looking for. I have found your service list and printed it out as well as the Rave manual.
Ok...front drive shaft....check. I did read a write up on the engine failure mess...just was unaware that my VIN would define wether or not my Disco could have the illness! I still have a little over a year of warranty remaining...if mine should fall into the "engine failure category" would the dealer do the engine before it fails or would I have to wait until it happens--which would probably be right after the warranty goes out?
And lastly......when I call the dealer with my VIN....what should I ask and be on the lookout for? Will they be straight up with me or are they gonna say "Oh, with such low miles you should be ok" only to have it fail 3k miles later?

Thank again for the info DM...very helpful!

Cheers

Old 05-22-2010, 06:50 AM
1st Gear

VCD Problem!?

Alright,I know there are DVDs but if I wanna save it to my computer,I have to rip it and it's very troublesome. So,I brought this Flushed Away VCD. So I need to trim the front(I use windows movie maker)because those I don't need. But when I trim the front,everything goes blank(the audio and sound is still there)! so I have to press the undo button and it comes back. I need to upload this video to Youtube.So,if I cant trim the beginning,I can't trim the movie to parts and I can't upload the WHOLE movie!