General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Disco owner seeking advice on two seperate leaks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco owner seeking advice on two seperate leaks.

I recently purchased a 2004 Disco with 90k. A couple different issues with leaks I have some questions about. There is a slow coolant leak coming from one of my molded hoses. I am hoping that all I need is a fuel injection clamp but I will include pictures. The second issue I just noticed is that there is oil leaking by my oil plan underneath the vehicle. I had to top off my oil twice over the past month so I checked underneath and noticed the wet oil. Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated as far as possible issues and solutions. I will not have the money to have her serviced until next month so I am looking to hopefully alleviate some of these issues myself and as cheap as possible. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I will attach pictures with the brief descriptions below.

Image # 12 shows the coolant leak from above the engine. It is coming from the center hose and you can see a slight build up below the hose in the little corner.

Image # 15 shows the coolant leak from under the engine through the hole where the oil filter is at. The coolant has actually slowly leaked to the oil filter as there are a few drops that you can't see in the picture. Also there is another build up of black gunk near the oil filter which is visible on the picture. It doesn't feel like oil it more looks like dirty antifreeze but then again it may pertain to the oil leak I mentioned earlier.

Image #'s 16, 17, and 18 all are of the oil pan underneath the car where you can visibly see the wet oil around the pan. There are a couple different images with different angles.

Attached Thumbnails New Disco owner seeking advice on two seperate leaks.-dsc_0112.jpg   New Disco owner seeking advice on two seperate leaks.-dsc_0115.jpg   New Disco owner seeking advice on two seperate leaks.-dsc_0116.jpg   New Disco owner seeking advice on two seperate leaks.-dsc_0117.jpg   New Disco owner seeking advice on two seperate leaks.-dsc_0118.jpg  

Old 12-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like new clamps might take care of the coolant leak. You should swap them out anyway so get them installed and see if it does the trick. It also appears that you still have DexCool (orange) coolant in your truck. Most people swap to the green stuff because that coolant starts to plug up the cooling system if the level begins to drop.

Regarding the oil on the pan, that doesn't look too bad. This is a Rover after all! Without seeing more of the engine it is hard to tell but the typical leak spots are the valve covers and the then the oil pan gasket. Start by getting a 5/16" 12 point socket and tightening up the two screws you can see on the outside of the valve covers. This often makes a big difference. Then blast the engine with a pressure washer to get it clean so you can figure out where the leaks are coming from. When you spray the engine, stay away from the throttle position switch (on the intake, check RAVE for the location) and the coils in the back of the engine.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:05 AM
Drifting

Really appreciate the information! I have already sprayed the oil pan with the hose and wiped it as best I could with a rag. I was hesitant to spray the engine from the top but I will do it tomorrow making sure to keep it only in front of where the oil filter is at, where the build up is showing on picture 15, staying away from the back of the engine and the TP switch. I will tighten the screws tomorrow also. Looking at the car fax, the cylinder head gaskets were replaced around 76k.

As for the coolant leak I will get the clamps for all three hoses and replace those, I'm also going to replace the coolant with the green kind as you suggested. I wasn't aware of the issues with Dex Cool but am glad you told me. I plan on changing the front drive shaft to a serviceable one in January also but need to get these leaks taken care of first as my current front drive shaft is not making any chirping noises but I did notice that it is still the factory one.

I am new to servicing any kind of vehicle so forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm kind of teaching myself with the aid of the internet and now gentlemen like yourself. I'm not sure which kind of oil was used prior but I plan on changing it to full synthetic 10W-30 as I am in Colorado. I will probably use the purple filter and Mobil One high mileage. I was relieved to find out how easy the oil changes are. Anyhow, I will update the post as I am going. Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 PM
Drifting

I believe that the oil leak is coming from the main engine and transmission seal??? Not sure on the terminology. After reading about common leaks on the Disco I heard that this seal is one of them. The leak is actually originating from the part of the engine that sits in front of the driver seat. I will post a picture tomorrow, do you know if the labor on the potential engine/transmission seal leak is more than $1000?