New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New LR owner and new to forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LR owner and new to forum

Hello everyone. I just purchased an 04 Disco SE last week with 92,000 on it. This forum looks great with a lot of helpful info. So far I have changeed all the fluids out, the belt, and tires. I am having it detailed in another week. I am an archaeologist and plan to use it in our badlands while working. Looks to be an adequate rig.

Anything I should know about the 04?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

All the fluids... that would include complete flush of the brake system, front and rear diff, transfer case (in other words, not just oil and coolant). Download the RAVE below, the factory set of shop and owner's manuals, and keep on a USB drive so you can access it while in the field. In our tech section is a high miles service item list. Consider complete test of oil pressure (manual gauge) and coolant temp (scanner/code reader or Ultra Gauge). Might need radiator flush or replace, water pumps can leak, and oil pumps if cracked don't put out required PSI above idle. Two main points would be make sure front prop shaft has grease fitting and use them (see propshaft rebuild in the tech section - it can split and poke hole in transmission). Also purchase a spare Crank Position Sensor to carry in truck. There is no work around for failure of this sensor. Just thinking that the Badlands could put you out of reach of AAA, and hope you find a good boneyard (the dream of all Rover parts vultures)...

Bet if you post this question again over in the general tech help or D2 section you will get more opinions, and if just one of them saves you down time, then great! And be sure to post some pix, members travel the world and take us armchair guys along the dusty trail.