General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Nightmare! No Power and Grinding While Turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Nightmare! No Power and Grinding While Turning

'03 Disco 2.
Short Story: Just replaced almost everything from the front differential and out. Just took the first test drive. Goes straight just fine. When taking a sharp, slow turn (left or right), it seems a clutch is engaging and you can hear/feel some grinding. Truck loses power. If I back off the gas, everything recovers completely, and away I go. Is there a sensor I need to reset?

Long Story: Had binding steering issues. Found 6 of the 8 ball joints in the front to be bootless and/or completely loose. Replaced the tie/steering rod. Replaced the Drag Link. Replaced the upper and lower ball joints on both sides. And since I had them out, replaced both of the axles and CV joints. While doing all that, I noticed the Master Brake Cylinder was leaking, so I bought a repair kit and fixed that. Once back together I bled all four wheels and also bled the two nuts on the the bottom of the brake cylinder. I have not had the ABS bled. Yes, I put brand new fluid into both differentials. Yes, the brake and power steering reseviors are full. It feels like I'm setting off some kind of Traction Control device every time I turn that is stopping me cold, but resets the moment I let off the gas, then accelerate again.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Old 07-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Mudding
Default And ...

I should also mention that I had to replace the right wheel hub/bearing assembly due to the axle refusing to release and slide out, no matter how much heat or penetrant I applied. I reused the wheel speed sensor. More and more thinking Ive got a sensor issue that is causing traction control to partially kick in and making a mess of it all.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Mudding

One more entry and I promise to let someone else say something ...

Just went out for another test ride, this time specifically focused on the cornering issue. In fact, it is the Traction Control system kicking-in. Way too sensistive. I'm guessing the introduction of two new axles and one new wheel hub/bearing have my vehicle quite confused. So ... the challenge now appears to be ... How do I promote Peace, Love and Understanding between Speed Sensor, Traction Control, ABS and ECU?

Old 07-18-2019, 11:54 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you figure this out?

Old 07-19-2019, 07:10 AM
Mudding

Sure did. Thanks for asking.

The grinding was because the alignment was off just a bit too much and the traction control system kept kicking in. Wrapped a string around all four wheel and adjusted it about 15 times using a steel ruler/depth gauge with 1/64" increments.

The power steering was the bigger issue. The steering gearbox was bad. My power steering pump and failed and sent something downrange into the gearbox and it could not be cleared. Every pump I installed would fail. Finally spent the money to have a salvaged gearbox shipped in. After two of those I finally got one in good enough shape to install. Not difficult mechanically, but very challenging to do in your driveway due to weight and clearance (and mess).

The following users liked this post:
Cjlr3 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JettsRover
Sure did. Thanks for asking.

The grinding was because the alignment was off just a bit too much and the traction control system kept kicking in. Wrapped a string around all four wheel and adjusted it about 15 times using a steel ruler/depth gauge with 1/64" increments.

The power steering was the bigger issue. The steering gearbox was bad. My power steering pump and failed and sent something downrange into the gearbox and it could not be cleared. Every pump I installed would fail. Finally spent the money to have a salvaged gearbox shipped in. After two of those I finally got one in good enough shape to install. Not difficult mechanically, but very challenging to do in your driveway due to weight and clearance (and mess).
Impressive. Well done.