General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie needing help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 08:40 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needing help

Hi everybody. New to the forum and new owner of a 2005 Land Rover LR3 SE.

So I got a great deal on this beautiful machine. Mechanically it is very sound as it is cosmetically. The Rover was in an accident and I guess considered a total loss. Another Land Rover owner put it back together. Here’s my problem.

My horn, sunroofs, and all 12v plug in and cigarette lighter are not working. I did some research, check all fuses and they are good. I can’t fine what relays or fuse relays control these accessories. I’m hoping that is the problem, and hoping somebody on here can give me some insight as to what to look for. I am not what you would call mechanically inclined, but I do know how to google. I’m hoping someone can give me something that says what fuseable links and relays controls what.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:11 AM
5th Gear
Default quick update to original post

I started checking the fuseable links under the hood. They are all good, so I took my multimeter and tested the positive wire going into the battery junction box, there is power there, so I decided to test where the fuseable links connect in the junction box. There I have no resistence at all. Is my problem a bad Battery Junction Box or Central Junction Box (CJB). Is there a way to test the Central Junction Box, without taking it completely out? Or does someone have an idea of where I go now?

Old 07-06-2019, 06:41 AM
5th Gear
Default passenger floor board carpet wet

My carpet is wet on the passenger floor. I obviously have a leak, I'm assuming it is from the sunroof at the elbow where it turns to go out the vehicle. The reason I think this is because my pillars or headliner is not wet, so I don't believe it's leaking from up there, there is no sign of wetness anywhere except the passenger side floorboad. So if it is at the elbow, it may be leaking on the CJB, thus causing all the electrical problems I am having and finding no blown fuses. If it's leaking on the CJB from the back side what is my worst case scenario? I'm not sure how long this leak has been happening as I just bought it, if water is soaking the back side of the CJB, can it then damage the connectors? What course of action should I take here?

I can not do the water test or even blow air into the hole to see if just clogged at the top as my sunroof is stuck in the closed position, as if no power is getting to it. The electrical connector going to sunroof motor is a 4 pin connector, anybody know what pins I should put a jumper wire to open? All the info I can find is that it should be a 6 pin............... Maybe mine has been changed out at some point. Should I run power from the battery straight to the sunroof motor, would that be the pin that the red wire goes to?

it's obvious, I have to get the leak fixed first, if the leak is indeed at the elbow behind the CJB, and having to pull the CJB out in order to get to it, is it likely that if I clean the contacts on the board with some electric parts cleaner that it may fix some of my electronic issues if not all....................

Old 07-06-2019, 09:12 AM
5th Gear
Default positive battery wire coming into passenger compartment

ok below you will see a pic of a positive battery wire coming into the passenger floor board from the passenger firewall near the center of the vehicle, it runs toward the door, but has been cut and no signs of the other piece of wire............... any ideas here. It was laying in a puddle of water that was underneath the carpet. I have used my shop vac to suck it up and have the carpet still pulled back with a fan drying to blow it dry.

ok, so before I posted this, I went back out and decided to trace this wire. It comes up through the firewall and attaches to a TSPEC Fuse holder which then runs to the positive battery terminal. I am assuming this was to run an amp or something that may have been in the back of the vehicle. I have pulled it completely out and detached it from the battery terminal.

My nipple in the fender is still sticking out of the hole, so at least it didn't slip back and I would have been fishing to pull it out. It appears to be in good shape, so I am going to find the bad part, cut it out and splice it back together.

There are a billion wires under the passenger door kick plate. Looks very intimidating. How in the heck to you go about checking all these wires?

Attached Thumbnails Newbie needing help-2019-07-06-001.jpg   Newbie needing help-2019-07-06-002.jpg   Newbie needing help-2019-07-06-003.jpg   Newbie needing help-2019-07-06-004.jpg