General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie searching for tech help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie searching for tech help

Hello all, I am new here from San Diego, CA, owner of 2000 Disco II (a third one, after ’95 and ’97 Disco)
After 107 K miles, I have removed the heads to replace the head gaskets which were seeping coolant from the typical rear side, the right head being the worse. I also has significant oil leak at the front side of the engine, which appears to be the front crank oil seal (the rear has been replaced at 44,000 K under warranty). Before I tookthe heads apart, I checked the compression, and all seems good, in 160 to 180 PSI range, except for cyl. No. 6, which checked in @ 130 PSI. I have already received the heads back from the machine shop, typical valve job, new seals, resurfacing. The valve guides checked OK. I am replacing all engine gaskets, hydraulic lifters, timing chain and both gears (the existingone has excessive slack), spark plug wire set, new serpentine belt and idler pulley (the smaller plastic one rightbelowalternator to be changed for new metal piece).

My questionsare following:

1. The left cylinder head showed typical nice light brownish / Gray color on exhaust valves and the plugs; however, the right head was all black, full off suds, including spark plugs and all valves. Do I have some other problem? Is it a symptom of spark plug coil for right cylinder banks id going bad?

2. The cylinder bore have no indication of excessive wear and there is no cylinder ring (ridge) at the end of top limit of piston ring travel. How much can I expect the rings to last, would it be definitely recommended to replace the once the engine is apart?

3. What about the water pump? It did not leak, yet again, is it recommended to be replaced once all is apart?

4. Should I be aware of anything else I should address now, when it is the time?

Any input and or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Steven
[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 01-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Newbie searching for tech help

Don't worry about the rings, maybe up around 200 to 250,000 miles, you are fine for now.
I would replace the water pump, inspect the tensioner, replace the t/stat, the O2 sensors are coming up by mileage for replacement.
I would do a good engine flush, injector cleaning and then go have fun.
As for the coloration of the heads, could be a couple of tired O2 sensors on one side.
Mike

Old 01-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Mudding

Thank you Mike. Did not think about the O2 sensors. I am ordering all four tomorrow.

Steven

Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Make sure you get a good price on them, mid to high $60 is good.
Mike

Old 01-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Mudding

Got them for $ 66.50 front and$ 54.00 rear / each.

Again, thanks!
Steven