General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Searching for mythical block drain plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching for mythical block drain plugs

I have been searching my engine and this forum high and low to find the block drain plugs. Are these the same as the freeze plugs? I can find the inverted plugs on each side of the block. But I was told not to remove these unless you want the headache of putting them back in. Is there some sort of square headed drain plug on each side similar to oil drain plug? I'm trying to flush the engine and I have pulled the lower radiator hose and now I just need to drain the block. However I don't want to fool with the freeze plugs.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Searching for mythical block drain plugs

ORIGINAL: wadematt

I have been searching my engine and this forum high and low to find the block drain plugs. Are these the same as the freeze plugs? I can find the inverted plugs on each side of the block. But I was told not to remove these unless you want the headache of putting them back in. Is there some sort of square headed drain plug on each side similar to oil drain plug? I'm trying to flush the engine and I have pulled the lower radiator hose and now I just need to drain the block. However I don't want to fool with the freeze plugs.
They are two small threaded plugs (sometimes fitted with valves) on both side of the engine. They will be under the exhaust manifolds in the section between the heads and the oil sump, a bit more towards the rear of the engine. Remove these.

Even with them removed, I am uncomfortable doing a flush without removing the thermostat and its housing. It is also a better idea to flush from the top rather than the bottom. That is in the normal direction of the coolant flow and reduces the risk of crud from the flush collecting in the radiator and staying there.

There are rad flush products available if you want to buy one to add to the water but I have never done so. I simply put the hose in the rad and keep in running for 20 minutes or so until it is crystal clear.

When you refill with coolant, mix with DISTILLED water.

James

Old 04-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Save your self alot of unnecessary work, replace the t/stat and let the coolant drain out fro there, if you leave a little in the block there is no harm done.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Overlanding

Okay MIke. But I'm stupid. Where is the t/stat? I pulled the hose from the bottom of the radiator on passenger side. Where would it be in relation to that? Also, I'm trying to get all the coolant out because I put the dumb dadgum green crap in and am trying to get all of that out.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: Bartell
I simply put the hose in the rad and keep in running for 20 minutes or so until it is crystal clear.

When you refill with coolant, mix with DISTILLED water.

James

Okay I assume I have to take the shield thingy off the top to get to the radiator to put the hose in? Or do I just put it in one of the hoses?

Old 04-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Call me.
303-862-7680