General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

noise from fan belt area

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:27 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise from fan belt area

I have a strange whistling /squeakingnoise coming from the fan belt area of an old disco. I have changed the fan belt tensioning wheel bearing but there is still a noise. I think it could be the water pump?
Has anyone any ideas? What happens if the bearing goes in the water pump housing? Or could it be something to do with my alternator?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: noise from fan belt area

When my water pump was going out it wined like a small super charger.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The water pump bearing in the snout of the casting will make such a noise before failing. The next step--after the initial noise--is thatthe radialdisplacement of the shaft causes the seal to leak, and this is when you will see coolant stains, and then dripping ---out of the weep hole on the underside of the snout casting.Up to this point, the repair cost is modest --- in requiring a water pump, gasket, serpentine belt, and coolant.

If you still procrastinate-- the pump impeller will now start to move fore and aft ---- and it WILL (fairly quickly) grind a hole into the front timing case cover, and that is a part that costs $600 or more (the labor adding on another $200--or more).

So check it out NOW. With the engine off (of course) take the fan with both handsat the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions -- and try to "rock" the fan by alternately pushing with one hand while pulling with the other. If you have mechanical play there --- time to change the water pump.

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 02-24-2007, 12:12 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all sorted now. Just swapped the water pump and all sounds quiet now.