General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

O2 sensor missing signal

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor missing signal

previous owner in a fit of rage pulled the wiring out of the plug, pass., side.
I replaced the sensor...but, the signal has vanished...The assumption being that the female/harness receptacle was damaged in said fit of rage...attack. Now, we know, there is nothing in the engine bay that is NOT in the way of accessing that plug...I'm hoping, someone might have a bit of insight on how to get to the plug and figure out which wire and/or wires are the damaged ones...
My thought is dig my way in there, with a replacement socket in hand and just replace the original... just looks like almost everything on the pass side of the engine's gotta come out...
All suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We kinda need to know what model and year and engine it is.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Mudding
Default Missing o2 signal

No doubt the yr &model would be helpful...2000 Disco, 4.0...Ooppsss...

Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Perhaps these would help.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 front o2 connector.pdf (94.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 rear o2 plug.pdf (58.3 KB, 155 views)
Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If the connector on the truck is all jacked up you can splice the wires together, its not ideal but it'll work.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Mudding

Final update/outcome...upon reviewing my notes...I had this problem before...the plug got a little oil in it...I guess...no oil leaks to be found...but anyways...
I took it apart and flushed it out thoroughly w/ brake cleaner, applied a bit of dielectric grease to both 1/2's, put it back together and problem solved!
Thanks for the suggestions

Old 11-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking for this! I'll link the exact image (I'm looking for the driver's side front O2 sensor) back to the thread I was posting in.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Mudding
Smile MISSING O2 SIGNAL revisited

Shoulda posted this way back when...buy, sorry got distracted...In any case, I was thinking back, at that time, and remembered having the same problem...and the solution...which in all fairness, I do believe I got here!...IAC, slight valve cover seepage compromises the conductivity of the connector...
Solution: can of brake/carb cleaner, dilectric grease. Open the connector, aim the carb cleaner at each part of the connector, in turn, close eyes, mouth, ears...and blast away, when it looks sparkly clean in there, hit with a bit of compressed air, liberally apply some dielectric grease, to both halves and reassemble...
Far from rocket science...but, worked for me...

Now, the only thing I have to do on this is GET RID of my NEW BOSCH O2 sensors and replace them w/ Genuine Rover O2 sensors...ain't that the ****s!!! They don't read properly, neither does the EXPENSIVE AFTERMARKET MASS AIRFLOW and COOLANT TEMP SENSOR... NONE of them work properly...cleaver those FLIPPIN' ENGINEERS!...

Other than that, Merry Seasonal Type Greetings!!!

Old 12-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've had about 1.5' of snow in Utah, and I don't have a garage, so I still haven't taken care of my issue. I think I will both rewire the sensor back from the ECU and clean out the connectors really well. I still get those stupid P0134 and P0150 codes. Really annoying, but the truck runs great. It has been a champ in the snow and seems to enjoy the snow, even... Didn't know these things had attitude. My Ultragauge is pretty nice to see everything, but I think I'm going to swap over to the iPhone-based one that was just released. It does bit better job of data logging and gives more details on trouble codes. I'll reply here when I get my problem fixed.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Mudding

Het, Tex, don't kn ow if this'll get to get to you...but, DON'T re-wire if you have NON OEM/FACTORY/AUTHENTIC ROVER O2 SENSORS...It's not that hard wiring never fails...just not OFTEN! and the odds of BOTH SIDES FAILING at the same t6ime are astronomically LOW!...the only ones that read correctly are the OEM's...gee, think the bean counters thought that one up...true with all the sensors...
Which now brings us to the SEARCH of a DECENT PRICE on OEM'S...anyone gotta line on them?
Thanks