General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil light on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil light on?

Hi guys, new here!

Yesterday I went to turn on my car (2004 Discovery SE) and the low oil pressure light went on, I restarted the engine and it still remained on. Thus, I didn't want to risk driving my car, even though everything sounded fine. A couple hours earlier I had been driving my car (about 80 miles no the highway) and don't recall the light being on or any problems with the car running. The "service engine soon" light was on, but I checked and the gas cap had been loose so I tightened it.

I checked my oil level this morning and it is full. I called my nearest Land Rover dealer and the man in the service department said that, best case scenario, I would need a new oil pump at 1k, worst case scenario a new engine at 7k. I was told last time I had the car in for service (about a month ago) to not put much money in the car because it has a lot of rust on bottom from living in the north and driving on very salty roads. I love this car though, and I don't want to just scrap it.

Does anyone here have any advice or similar experiences? Right now I'm waiting to hear back from Land Rover about making an appointment to run some diagnostics. I'll have to have the car towed about 90 miles.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The oil light switch is about 7 psi, so it being on for more than a few seconds at idle is an engine killer.

Problems could include, in order of $

Low oil level - but your's is OK

Bad oil filter - for cost of a 90 mile tow and dealer, you can afford to change filter at the house, or if you are not a DIY there are mobile oil change outfits, or a local shop may do this, based on your situation - needing a house call. Or tow to local shop.

Oil pressure can be tested with a manual guage by a mechanic. That would be done both cold and warmed up, at idle and 2500 RPM. This will also confirm that the $20 oil pressure switch is indeed "good".

If oil pressure test confirms, oil pump would be a candidate for replacement. Could also be blocked pickup screen inside oil pan.

If things have gone on for a great deal of time you may be looking at rebuilding the engine (dealer does not want to do this), or putting in a used or rebuilt one. Rovers are not too complex, you might be able to find a local mechanic to do some of the basics.

There have been recent posts about oil pumps, I'll try to add links to those. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...highlight=pump, https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...highlight=pump

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-14-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AND put a new pressure sensor in. I didn't check mine, did a rebuild on the oil pump, and cleaned the pick up screen. I HAVE NO SLUDGE in the engine. I uhh thought that since the pressure on the readings was around 2-4 psi that it was the pump. Well it may of been that, but even after I rebuilt it, it had the light on. I figured why I was in there I might as well put a new timing chain and sprocket on.
Here is the link to my post:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-instal-43603/

Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Who is changing your oil and what oil weight and brand are you using and when was it last changed?