General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OVER SIZED PISTONS FOR DISCO 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OVER SIZED PISTONS FOR DISCO 1

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike
ORIGINAL: CandiMan
Are the liners removable in these engines?
Spoke with 2 different Rover shop owners over the last 2 day and they both said, that since the engine has been bored, it is just because the current sleeve will fail when reassembled.
Don't waste ant time and money on this engine, and make the shop foot a big portion of the bill for a replacement engine. The good news is, you can drop a 4.6 short block in and come out ahead.
From reading your answer I still don't know if the liners are removeable. But I tink you're saying the sleeves are removeable. With him having the option of a 4.6 short block, once again I assume the 4.6 are also liner engines?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, there are probably 3 shops in the U>S. that can do it for around $2500, but why, between shipping both ways, the cast of new piston and other parts, it will be cheaper to drop in a new 4.6 short block.
You need to realize, your mechanic trashed your engine and you need to take whatever steps are necessary to make him pay the price.
If you have any questions, call me.
303-862-7680
Colorado ant day before 8 pm

Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at MotorCarsLTD Ad on the side bar.

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/

Old 04-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: krizza91

I just had my engine rebuilt on my 98 discovery. The machine shopbored the cylinders, and are now having a difficult time finding oversized pistons.
You seem to gettting mixed and not entirely accurate advice. Can I assist? I have bored (in the cylinder sense) many of these engines..from Buick 215s to 4.6s.

First of all, the machine shop was idiotic to bore cylinders without new pistons in hand. I have never heard of anyone ever doing that. That being said, it does not have to be the disaster some are suggesting to you here. No Rover shop worth their salt would say that without more information.

It is true there is a problem with all the blocks and liners from the 3.9s until the new Comcast blocks, but this will not be overly aggravated by a rebore...though it might be with an attempt to press in new liners//especially stock.

As for casting about for high tech expertise and abilities in the US for Disco I engines, that is analogous to expecting to find Chevy 357 brilliance on the French Rivieria. The engines are made in England and that is where the expertise and the parts come from. LRNA has the worst reputation in the Land Rover world network for part prices, ability and expertise...and this is coming from someone who adores the US automobile aftermarket. However, you can work around that with a little help from your friends.

You MUST find out what they over-bored to..EXACTLY. Then we can easily source you one of the 3-4 overbored pistons available..either expensively in the USD or cheaply in the UK. Your realistic options will be 20 over or the most popular, 40 over. Each new piston will indicate the clearance required stamped into it and, assuming your machine shop left enough room, you will be fine. Pray that they went for a 10 or 20 overbore.

The pistons come with all rings (2 compression and the oil ring). You will need a set of bearing and the conrods and gudgeon must be transferred. If it works out, a bored engine, is better than new as it uses a seasoned block.
Guesstimate $400 for a set of rings and pistons in the UK and 130 for the bearings and another 70 for the gaskets. Use new crank bolts.

If you choose to go with liners despite the advice, make sure you use ONLY a set of flanged Top Hat Liners, not the stock stuff. ($700)

If you want a new engine, you can get rebuilts with solid warranties for 2000 or a new, best ever made for 5000.

James

Old 04-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we have a winner

Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 AM
8th Gear

I just wanted to thank you all for the advice and give an update.
As it stands now, the repair shop is having my engine re-lined, and thanks to James I insisted that they use the flanged top hat liners. now, if they really used them?
I was seriously considering and leaning towards the 4.6 upgrade. It took some time totrack down a 4.6 used engine locally so I didn't have to pay a bundle to have it shipped. apparently they are becoming difficult to come across. unfortunately, after all of the work would have been done to get it ready to put into my vehicle (deglaze cylinders and new rings due to the 75,000 miles on it) the shop was quoting me an additional cost of$2,600.00! plus I was told I would need a new computer chip for $300, add the tax on the4.6 engine, and blah blah blah, things kept adding up.
I couldn't justify the additional money. My wife alreadywants to kill me because she said not to spend the money to fix the "car"in the first place, butI convinced her this was less than a new used one (that's for sure). I look at it this way...I get to keep my rover and we will have paidnearly 6kso shecan say "I told you so".

Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: krizza91

plus I was told I would need a new computer chip for $300,
Which computer chip are they putting in?

James