General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

overheating!!!..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DON'T be affraid of the dealer! They offer actual factory train tech's with Land Rover's own tech support to back them! Most dealers are compedetive and offer one year parts and labor warranties to back the repairs!
I have seen too many "specialized" independant shops that really just have a general knowledge of things and end up doing more harm then good to a Land Rover. They bank on your fear of the dealer. There are a few indepentant shops that have their acts together, you need some local advice on that so ask around!
PS, Rover's North is a good online parts supplier. You should be able to find a europian inmport parts supplier in your area, but again do not be affraid of the dealer. They have to parts you need and the parts will fit and work properly!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Drifting

PS -
If your still overheating and blowing coolant out of the revervior after the t-stat and t-bore heater plate repair, check for combustion gases in the cooling system ( block test kit ). You may be experiencing a leak of combustion chamber gases into your cooling system from a dropped liner or blown head gasket. Heat are these motor's worst enemy!
good luck!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Overlanding

oky just changed the t stat!..and fixed the heater body leak! top it off and flushed the system!... drove it about 30mins heater was wrking fine and temp gage stayed normal!.. then!!.. there was no heat..temp gage started moving into red, and when i stopped to pop the hood overflow tank was smoking and coolant was comming out!.. my question is what now!?? radiatior!!??

Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no Go to NAPA buy a block tester, its 50.00.
fill the tube with the blue fluid then fit it into the coolant bottle run the engine this device samples the coolant bottle vapors if you have a blown head gasket, cracked head or cracked block then the fluid will turn yellow, i am betting on a blown head gasket

Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 AM
3rd Gear

I just dealt with this last weekend.

did you actually lose any coolant or is it still all in there?
if youre overflow tank is being pressurized, you most likely have a bad head gasket, or worst case a cracked head.
before you drain the oil, i would run some compression tests to help better put your finger on which head is the culprit.

good luck, keep us posted.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Overlanding

yup its the head gasket!! ... what are the chances that the whole block is damage too... (all its doingf is pushing combustion gases threw the resv tank, not smoking or milky oil). ... if you guys remeber i just brought it!!.. lets hope after this.. this rover is all its cracked up to be!! lol..