General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating issues. Dealership can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating issues. Dealership can't figure it out

Hi,

Just bought a 2004 Disco II with 110k.

Within the first 15 minutes of driving it on the highway, got indications that it was overheating, light came on and I pulled over to the side of the road. Noticed coolant boiling over and a fairly prominent leak from a hose. Had it towed to the local LR dealership.

Dealership replaced the radiator tube and a "junction" behind the radiator that had been held together with silicon (probably a patch job from previous owner). They said they ran a pressure check and said it was good to go after about $800.

Picked it up and less than 15 minutes on the highway again I get the overheating light. Pulled over and the coolant is nearly bone dry except for what looks like dirty water but has a very slight oily feel. Didn't notice a leak, coolant trail leading to where I stopped, or white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. So not sure if this points to a HG issue or something else.

Having to take it back to the dealership now. Seems to me like they forgot to fill back up the coolant after replacing the parts and/or didn't do the pressure test again to find what could have been another leak... Not really sure what I'm missing.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for or asking the service department about?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

have them pressure test the cooling system and question them on the fact the the engine overheated and loss all coolant after they worked on it.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Head gaskets. If your coolant was dirty looking and had a slick oil feel to it then it sounds like head gaskets. I would push them to replace it free of charge if they did replace the coolant and hoses on it then it over heated. O wait it's Land Rover the dealer want do that they expect you to already know the head gaskets will blow.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:14 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out it was just a bunch of homemade repairs and 'band-aid' fixes to the coolant system that eventually just got overwhelmed.

The dealership was pretty decent and did the second job without charge since they said they probably should have caught it while evaluating the originial problem.

It's nice to know that even though you are paying a premium price there they will give you premium service.

Hopefully for the next issue I'll be in a position to work/learn a little about it myself.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

hey you lucked out, remember the date, it doesn't happen that often.

nice of them to eat the labor second time around