General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

P0340 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point. That was one of the first things I checked out. I asked the company in England where I purchased the short-block from and they swear that the cam and sprocket are the correct OEM specs. The spocket was the newer style with the d-shaped holes which matches up with the 2003 block. The truck is running great and is getting fantastic gas mileage even for a new engine so I know the problem isn't causing the ECU to run in any kind of default or "limp home" modes. I stumbled across something in the RAVE manual that raised my eyebrow. It referenced re-setting the values with Testbook after removing/replacing the flywheel or CKP sensor. I'm wondering what that is referring to? I can clear out the MIL with my Scan Tool (of course it comes back after 2 restarts), but is there something that Testbook does differently like reprogram the ECU or resets it?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man oh man! This issue has finally been resolved. I gave up and took it to the LR Dealer for them to perform a diagnostic. It ended up that the engine builder in England, who specializes in Land Rover engines and should know LR's like nobody's business installed the wrong cam gear. They inadvertantly put a GEMS gear on a Bosch engine. For all of you guys that suggested this could be the case on this thread...YOU WERE RIGHT!!!! A gold star for all of you! This was actually the first thing I thought of too when the problem began but the builder assured me they only install correct factory spec items when building short blocks. Anyone can make a mistake...it's just that I always seem to be on the business end of it if you know what I mean. So, I contacted Turner and they advised that they would send the correct parts air freight for me to perform the work. I advised them that the Disco was already at the LR Dealership partially torn down and I wanted them to do the work. The builder was still willing to provide the parts but only reimbursed me what turned out to be the "warranty labor" for the repair which came out to $544 USD. The LR dealer said they had to charge me the regular amount of hours for the job since it wasn't their warranty...which I can't blame them for. So, I get a $544 credit back from the builder plus parts, the LR dealer charged me $763 labor for the cam gear change, and $175 for the diagnostic to find the problem. I paid $400 for someone elses mistake! Pretty messed up, huh? Yeah, I could have done it myself and pocketed the $544 refund but it would have taken me forever since I don't have a lot of time to work on it. Heck, it took me 2 months to build the engine up (even with having the short block done) and perform the swap. Plus, I just want to drive the darn thing...I'm sick of working on it. I know that's not the last time I'll turn wrenches on it but I just want to enjoy the car for a while. The dealer got it done in a day after I had the parts sent to them. I suppose it was worth it. I could kick myself for not noticing the difference in the cam gear before I installed that engine though. You live and learn.