General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Potential new (used) purchase LRD II 2000yr questions for seasoned owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 05:36 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Potential new (used) purchase LRD II 2000yr questions for seasoned owners

Goodevening, I'm strongly considering purchasing a Disc. 2000. The seller is asking 3900$. The history is hasn't been driven in 4 yrs. This owner is the third owner. Her sister is the second and purchased it while living in NJ in 2007. Then it wasn't used for 4 years sitting in garage. It's been driven for a few months in SC along beach and local. The ABS is out (I've begun studying how to fix it), check engine light comes on, she said its because of emissions which isn't something thats checked for in SC or Ga which is where I live, additionally a roof rack leak (which I've looked up how to seal), roof paint has seen better days and the A/C she said is hit/miss. The interior is pretty solid clean, well maintained from the pics. She said I can test drive it and bring a mechanic. I've a classmate (i'm in firefighter academy) who is pretty well versed in LR and he said he'd drive me and look at it with me. I've included pictures of the suspension, differentials and frame as my bro said I should ask for them. Would anyone chime in and tell me if they think this is an albatross or a worthwhile investment from the pics and what I've noted.

I've studied on the vehicle and I'm aware that it does require maintenance like anything else and is a solid vehicle to work on if one is very inclined...which I am. I'm wanting this (my first true vehicle) to last 400K miles ideally and I'd be invested in its regular maintenance and upkeep. Working as a ff, it'd be a primary transport vehicle. I'm working a 24/48 (so 24 hrs on and 48 off) shift, so mileage driving would be low. No kids, no wife, but who knows down the line. And I'm 6'7" slim build so the specs seem doable. Mind you I love sitting in the drivers seat of a mini cooper if that tells you anything.

Also a mechanic versed in them said when i see it, check suspension see if any side sags when its turned on and also listen for sounds in the engine when driving. As I mentioned my classmate versed in them and a pretty solid car mech is gonna drive me.

I appreciate any input I've perused this site and said maybe folks will give a response.

Thank you much.