General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Door Open Will Not Unlock All Doors

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Door Open Will Not Unlock All Doors

2004 Disco II

When we push the OPEN button on the key fob, only two doors unlock.

When we push the LOCK key on the key fob, all doors lock.

Is this a solenoid problem? Is there one solenoid for all doors or one for each?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

They are lock motors. There is just one per door for regular lock, and another for "superlock" which disables inside door release. The power to the door locks is reversed to make the motor run backwards and unlock. This is done by the IDM module on back of the fuse panel. Electrically, if you can lock them, then that leaves the wiring as OK. The RAVE is the factory shop manual and includes circuits manuals and electrical library of connectors and locations.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
They are lock motors. There is just one per door for regular lock, and another for "superlock" which disables inside door release. The power to the door locks is reversed to make the motor run backwards and unlock. This is done by the IDM module on back of the fuse panel. Electrically, if you can lock them, then that leaves the wiring as OK. The RAVE is the factory shop manual and includes circuits manuals and electrical library of connectors and locations.
Thanks. We've noticed that "superlock" you're referring to. Interesting.

In reading the Working/Shop manual (1999 nothing different for the 2004??) I could not disiffer the electrical drawings. I'm sure they are good but... They're just a lot of lines to me.

If locking works, regular and super, and unlocking doesn't work on all doors, what would be my issue:
1. solenoid replacement
2. key fob replacement
3. low signal on key fob requiring a new batters
4. ect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Maybe of the above. Would check with a volt meter for voltage appearing when lock command is issued. If the voltage appears at the lock motor, then it is bad. If it does not, look at the the IDM module.

Reading the electrical diagram is easy, just like an old road map before Santa Claus put a GPS in every car. Lines go to a device then to another, then to a fuse then to the battery, etc.

Considering that dealer tech time can touch $200 and hour in some markets, it is worth brushing up on electrical.

Which two doors don't unlock?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz

Which two doors don't unlock?
All doors lock on the first touch and I can hear the super-lock engage with the second touch of key fob.

When I press "Open" button, first touch I hear the super-lock disengage, second touch only the passenger's rear door unlock.

I can open the driver's door with the key. But it will not open any other doors.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Just For Fun
All doors lock on the first touch and I can hear the super-lock engage with the second touch of key fob.

When I press "Open" button, first touch I hear the super-lock disengage, second touch only the passenger's rear door unlock.

I can open the driver's door with the key. But it will not open any other doors.
One additional thought poped up in my weary brain: I also have a Dodge RAM. In that we had a weak battery that caused many faults to occurred including total shutdown!

Could this possible also be a problem with the electronic problems I'm having?

Other than what is involved in NORMALLY charging any vehicle - car battery charger plugged into the home wall plug and cable to the battery (+ to + and - to -). Is there anything to be particularly careful for/of in my Disco?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Three Wheeling

Quick update on the door lock problem: Problem is diagnosed as to being three out of five actuators in three of the doors are not working. Correction will occur after my next paycheck!!!!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you sorted your problem out. I have a similar issue... All doors lock, but my pass. rear door and the trunk do not unlock. You have to pull the handle from the inside to unlock them. It's just confounding to me that the trunk has no manual unlock keyhole. I have to unlock my one good back door, get in, and climb over the back seats to unlock the dang thing.

I'll check voltages this weekend and see if I can figure out what my issues are.

Quick question--were your issues only present when using the key fob? Mine don't unlock with the fob OR the unlock button in the dash.

2002 LR DISCO II SE7

Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by CaptainCulp
Glad you sorted your problem out. I have a similar issue... All doors lock, but my pass. rear door and the trunk do not unlock. You have to pull the handle from the inside to unlock them. It's just confounding to me that the trunk has no manual unlock keyhole. I have to unlock my one good back door, get in, and climb over the back seats to unlock the dang thing.

I'll check voltages this weekend and see if I can figure out what my issues are.

Quick question--were your issues only present when using the key fob? Mine don't unlock with the fob OR the unlock button in the dash.

2002 LR DISCO II SE7
Didn't/doesn't work with either.

But one time... It all worked with the "double twist of the key" in the door!! I exclaimed excitement to my wife who then tried it and guess what?!?!?!? It stopped working - returning to the non-working condition we had before.

I'm thinking of simply blaming her for the problem. Just thinking about it.