General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Red dashboard brake light ON.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007 | 10:28 PM
|
5th Gear
Default Red dashboard brake light ON.

Itook my 1999 Disco II to the local Land Rover dealer to take care of three recall items: They changed accelerator cable, changed modulator bolts, and ABS ECU (which is located right behind the hand brakearea).Before I dropped it off, the dashboardred brake light was not on, after they serviced the three items above, and I was pickingmy car up, I brought it to their attention... they told me once you change your brakes, thered brake light will go off.I changed my brakes a few days later, took the car back in, they said they will diagnose it. They just called me and said the ABS system light(which wasalways on) was causing the dashboard brake light to stay on. "Now that we changed the ABS ECU, it is now communicating with other ABS components, and causingthe dashboard brake light to come on. ARE THEY PULLING MY LEG? To me, I think they caused a short in the hand brake wire or something, and now they can't find the problem. Is the dashboard brake light only caused by low brake fluid or bad handbrake switch or wire, or can the ABS system causered dashboard brake lighttostay on. Is there a way I can test the handbrake switch single plug? If anyone can come up with helpful tips I would appreciate it. OR, if you can tell me what type of questions I can ask them when I pick up my car tomorrow. (Questions like... could it be caused by the ABS ECU you replaced, or did you test the hand brake cable, and what process you used,etc. Please help.

Old 12-14-2007 | 07:28 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Red dashboard brake light ON.

Exactly what red brake light is on, the one for the e-brake, the one for the master cylinder? If it is the one for the e-brake, they should just adjust the e-brake cable, if the other brake light is on, just add some brake fluid to turn off that switch.

Old 12-14-2007 | 08:49 AM
|
5th Gear

the brake fluid is full, and the e-brake switch was good when I first took it in. My question is ... they are saying since my ABS lightswere alwayson, it is causing my brake light to come one. the new ABS ECU is now communicating (that didn't solve my problem of ABS and TC lights to go off, andnow causing the red e-brake light to come on through a problem in the ABS modulator(which they also changed a circle plate and bolts on due to 1 of the recalls. that doesn't make sense to me. I can see the brake light causing the ABS lights to come on, but not the faulty ABS system causing the red e-brake light to come on.

Old 12-14-2007 | 10:55 AM
Overlanding

If this is the red brake warning light in the upper left side of the dash, it is grounded (illuminated) by 1 of three comonents, the hand brake switch, the fluid level switch or the SLABS (Self Leveling and Antilock Brake System) module. I would venture to say now that you have a new ABS module in the truck, it sees a fault and is communicating that by grounding the red brake light. You have an ABS fault of some type. Need some codes to figure it out.

Old 12-17-2007 | 02:33 PM
Mudding

could be a faulty wheel speed sensor or overlay harness issue,make sure the slabs module is configure to the suspension of the car