General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ruined lug nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruined lug nuts?

I just bought my first 2003 Discovery and immediately took it to the shop to have them perform an evaluation and put new tires on it (Goodyear Duratracs in case you're wondering). The tire replacement was the least of my concern. Anyway, just got the rig back and besides a list items I'll need to have looked at and/or repaired, I think every one of my lug nuts have been ruined.

I was inspecting the new tires and happened to see that one of the lug nuts looked a bit distorted. Upon closer inspection, all of them appeared a little distorted, as if someone used a pair of pliers/lockers to try and get them off. So I took out the lug nut tool from my Land Rover kit to see if it would still fit. Turns out it doesn't. In fact, none of them do. So of course I'm freaking out because how would I replace a wheel in an emergency situation if I can't get any of them off.

No worries, I'll just get some replacements. Nope. Looked online and it appears EACH lug nut runs at least $40?!?!? To replace 33 lug nuts I'd have to pay almost what I paid for the Land Rover itself?

Is there another way?

Attached Thumbnails Ruined lug nuts?-20140917_174527%5B1%5D.jpg   Ruined lug nuts?-20140917_174456%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

search for wheel nut here: RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

$4.99 each.

Also, you shouldn't need 33. Maybe 23 if the spare nuts were damaged somehow too.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Drifting

You can see in the second picture, the lug nut on the top left doesn't even look like it's the same size.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Drifting

search for wheel nut here: RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

$4.99 each.

Also, you shouldn't need 33. Maybe 23 if the spare nuts were damaged somehow too.
jafir thank you so much! Now this is going to sound really dumb but like I said, first Discovery. Is mine a Discovery I or a Discovery II if it's a 2003?

Also, quick update: I was able to use a rubber mallet to hammer the lug nut tool onto most of them. Super tight fit but I suppose that's as it should be. I suspect I'll only need to replace 4 after all.

THANKS AGAIN!

Old 09-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

It's a 2.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:12 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a Disco II, and tuner lug nuts at like a buck apiece from your local tire store will do.

We have a smaller pitch and diameter than a "true" Rover... i.e. One boughten and buyilt prior to the Ferd/Bimmer/Titty (Tata, really?) buy out.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Drubie22
I just bought my first 2003 Discovery and immediately took it to the shop to have them perform an evaluation and put new tires on it (Goodyear Duratracs in case you're wondering). The tire replacement was the least of my concern. Anyway, just got the rig back and besides a list items I'll need to have looked at and/or repaired, I think every one of my lug nuts have been ruined.

I was inspecting the new tires and happened to see that one of the lug nuts looked a bit distorted. Upon closer inspection, all of them appeared a little distorted, as if someone used a pair of pliers/lockers to try and get them off. So I took out the lug nut tool from my Land Rover kit to see if it would still fit. Turns out it doesn't. In fact, none of them do. So of course I'm freaking out because how would I replace a wheel in an emergency situation if I can't get any of them off.

No worries, I'll just get some replacements. Nope. Looked online and it appears EACH lug nut runs at least $40?!?!? To replace 33 lug nuts I'd have to pay almost what I paid for the Land Rover itself?

Is there another way?

E-mail Paul Grant as I'm sure he has hundreds if not thousands of used lug nuts.

Oh, matter of interest have you watched these tire changing gonks/gorillas ramp up the lug nuts with unregulated air impact wrenches when have you ever seen a torque wrench in a tire warehouse

Most of these guys wouldn't know what 103lb/ft mean't if it fell on their heads

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 09-18-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

I can't believe this hasn't been said but, You need to take it back to the tire shop NOW. Stop touching it. They used the wrong sized socket on your lug nuts. It boogered up the SS caps and the nuts became jammed in the socket. Then they beat the lug nut out further distorting the end of the cap.
This repair is not on you, they need to replace your lug nuts. Period.

BTW, those nuts with the dimple on the end are only to be used on your spare tire.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir Axlerod
tuner lug nuts at like a buck apiece from your local tire store will do.
None that I've seen will work on a land rover alloy wheel. Have you seen how big the holes are in the wheel?

Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the two lug nuts with the bulge on the top are for your spare tire carrier, they are different the the lugs on the truck hence the budge to note that.

Quick Reply: Ruined lug nuts?