General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SDD - Engineering Mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 12:40 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SDD - Engineering Mode

Normal disclaimers . . . I am just throwing this out there to let folks know what worked for me. I am not suggesting that anyone should follow this information, and if it is used you do so at your own risk.
I recently purchased a '06 LR3 HSE and needed to do some diagnostics and programing. After searching for an inordinate amount of time to find the right software, adaptor and Laptop, I came up with the following system:

Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit upgraded to 4GB of Ram
IDS /SDD v131.03 + Calibration / SPA Files (item #323245421756 on a well know auction site)
Oracle VM Virtual Box with Window XP Professional Service Pack 3
MongoosePro JLR Plus (available at various vendors)

Directions with the software were excellent and loaded the virtual machine on the parent laptop with XP.

Before running the SDD software, I loaded the Mongoose drivers first, then plugged in the Mongoose so that VM can ID it. Once completed, I started the SDD and entered the Settings tab, then System Information. Under Vehicle Communications Interface Status I clicked on Details. This revealed device options, one of which was the MongoosePro, selected it and then returned to the Vehicle tab.

After answering a couple of questions about my vehicle, I had the option to Enter Session, which I did.

Following the on screen directions I then came to the Session Type Selection page, which I found to be self-explanatory. I chose the Service Functions which loaded my vehicle's systems. I then chose the Recommendations Tab and was presented with all of the various calibration and modification items. The main issue was that I could not modify many of the items in the Car Config Management program because they were locked out.

More research . . . . this led me to the fact that most of the items that I wanted to modify but could not, required the Engineering Mode.

I found two ways to enter the Engineering Mode, first by clicking on the Yellow Key on the Vehicle Specification Page which provided me with a Seed number and asked for a password. I found a website that offered a password once the Seed Number and VIN numbers were provided. This method did not work for me.

The second method, which was successful for me, was to find the file named SoftwareDownload.htm in the Runtime directory of the JLR\IDS Program Files. Double clicking on this file presented me with a screen requiring the last 6 digits of the VIN, then to a choice of vehicle menu, then questions about my vehicle and eventually to the Engineering Home Page.

On this version of the SDD I had to click on the User Preferences Icon (two people standing next to each other) and then chose Engineering under the User Mode menu. Once this was done I could modify just about anything I wanted.

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL

Last edited by Bullpup; 11-26-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for the post. It was really useful for me since I was trying to recover the data on my R5MP120G8 SSD. I wonder if it is possible at all. I have deleted some files accidentally and am really worried now about this. I am not sure at all if it will be possible to restore them now, when two days have already passed, and I am using the same PC for that. What would you say? Or maybe I should better go to some professionals and ask them to make data recovery? I have already found some on the Internet, and they seem to be reliable… thank you for the replies!

Last edited by assemtom; 04-03-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:56 PM
4wd Low

Glad that it was helpful. Hard to believe it was over a year and a half past.