General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Service Engine Soon Warning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Anywhere on Lombard Street... lol

Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. Found this: TechShop is the SF Bay Area's Only Open-Access Public Workshop -- TechShop San Francisco

Not sure if this is what I'm looking for. Need to check it out.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Error code is P1118 - according to Rave: Radiator outlet temperature thermister high

Talked to LR repair man, suggests to replace the sensors. Does that make sense?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

No, it does not. According to the RAVE it for detection of a stuck thermostat.

P1118 Radiator outlet temperature thermister high
Thermostat reading above 140 °C (284 °F)

Your engine coolant temp sensor inside the upper intake reads the engine temp and sends it to the ECM, and it can be displayed on on a scanner. If engine is this temp, very bad things are happening and engine will be killed in a very short time. The sensor you cite is located on the raditor. If it is reading out of range, and you really are not over heating, great. The lower radiator temp sensor is used to detect a stuck thermostat.

Pages attached from Bosch engine management.

If you are not really hot, yes, change that sensor. But see if you are overheated first, it is a much greater problem. Temp gauge should be at 9:00, normally.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant monitoring.PDF (634.4 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 12-14-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Drifting

Thanks a lot, very helpful. The coolant temp was rock solid at 9 when the light was on.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Well, which sensor do you trust? Might be a good idea to measure temp of radiator hose, etc. to be sure you are not really at 284F, which would be "smokin'". Another thing that can be checked is the actual connector on the lower sensor, if it had corrosion or gunk in it, that could make the sensor have a strange reading. Normal temp is like 200F, so 284 F would be very bad.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Drifting

well, may be I'm naive, but I would trust the temperature gauge in the dashboard more because it starts at the bottom at cold start and goes to 9 and stays there while the engine is on. If it was not reliable I would expect it to show freak results more often or always stay at 7 o'clock. Hence I think the sensor theory does make sense. But i agree it does make sense to test.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by couzteau
well, may be I'm naive, but I would trust the temperature gauge in the dashboard more because it starts at the bottom at cold start and goes to 9 and stays there while the engine is on. If it was not reliable I would expect it to show freak results more often or always stay at 7 o'clock. Hence I think the sensor theory does make sense. But i agree it does make sense to test.
Except the temp gauge on the dash of any car is not accurate, it give's a general idea of what the temp is, it will read normal even with a good 20+*F temp change, but then it will start to climb, and quick.
Using a live data scanner will show you the actual temp of the engine unlike the gauge which only shows you the "normal" range.

Whenever you work on a car you always start with the free stuff, then the cheap stuff and work your way up from there.
Replace your thermostat, its only $30.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

couzteau,

Sorry for the confusion. It is natural to be cautious if one sensor on the truck logs a code that is supposed to represent that the temp sensor on the radiator has a resistance that if true would represent 284 F, on the bottom of the radiator.

Now that is not very likely, as a 50/50 mix of standard coolant and water, at 20 psi pressure cap (as comes on Discos), will boil over at 275 F. So yes, your mechanic, with no smoke showing , no steam venting into coolant container, and hoses not swelled up; probably concluded you were not boiling over, and that the scanner he had connected showing the temp from the sensor on top of the engine was in a reasonable zone. All good.

The sensor in question could be defective, and could have a very gunky connection that is lowering the overall resistance, making the system read wrong for this test. Or it could be a thermostat being erratic.

Discos don't take well to overheat, it can warp heads and ruin head gaskets; and just one severe oveheat can cause the cast iron cylinder liner to break loose, becoming the infamous slipped sleeve.

With respect to heat gauge in the D2, it is really less of a gauge and more of a pointer at a few ranges. The ECU monitors the ECT, and drives the pointer.

If ECT (temp sensor) is within in a magic "normal range" the gauge holds at 9:00. If below that temp it will display in the "cold" band, if above normal temp (which is a wide range): (from RAVE, and it means what it says):

When the engine is over heating the temperature gauge will display in the high
temperature band.

So if a wide normal range = 9:00, above 9:00 is trouble, even if we have not reached the high temp light just yet.

And if sensor is disconnected, it wil read cold and way2hot light will be on.

Your code again was:

Radiator
P1118 circuit voltage

1.0 sec/ two driving
Outlet

continuity resistance continuous cycles

Temperature

range check > 140.25 °C

Sensor

(max)

So probably will need to swap that sensor. A good thermostat (pix attached) also is always an asset, and flush/swap coolant helps get rid of another possibility, that you have DexCool coolant, which over time will build up a sludge in the radiator. Pix attached.

I may have seemed too doom and gloom. But one of our members who has just finished his engine rebuild posted a video of his day old Disco, with coolant oozing out of the head gaskets all around the engine, no recourse with stealer, so I was just trying to be cautious. One trick of sales weasels is to install a double bottle of radiator stopz leakz, so they can sell the truck before it goes out again.

A handy upgrade of Discos is the Ultra Gauge, which plugs into the OBDII port, and dospalys the custom mix of data you want to monitor, with your program of alarm points. About $70. Also functions as a code reader and can clear codes.

Attached Thumbnails Service Engine Soon Warning?-dex-cool-2.jpg   Service Engine Soon Warning?-thermo%2520inside%2520top.jpg   Service Engine Soon Warning?-ultra-gauge.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Drifting

Thanks Savannah and Spike. A lot to learn. I appreciate every bit of info and the worst thing that could happen would be a damaged engine, especially with an appropriate heads up from the sensors. Hence I do honestly value your opinions very much.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Warning?