General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

She is being difficult

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Sus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She is being difficult

Hey guys this is my first post! Looking for some trouble shooting advise. I have a 98 disco with 180k that I just got running about 3 months ago from a friend that let it sit for about 2 years. She was running great and I was very surprised that I had no issues with the engine. About a month ago she would not start in the grocery store parking lot and I had to have her towed home. After looking at this site I checked the IACV and it was covered in crap. Cleaned it and off we went. Yesterday it happened again and we had to get it towed. I installed a new IACV and with no change. Basically it will turn over with nothing catching. It ran great until now. I am thinking its another sensor but with my limited knowledge as a crappy backyard mech, it is tough to search out what else it is. I checked the fuel pressure and I can hear the fuel pump so it leads me to think some sort of sensor in the air system but just wondering if I am off base. $$ is a large factor (since every part on this thing is so damn expensive) as to why I am trying to fix it at the house and don't want to just start changing every other part until I get it right. As of now the Disco is just an extra car but since I am away for work it is nice to have an extra car for my wife to drive if something happens to her car.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Join the club. That exact problem is the single most aggravating issue of Landrover Discoveries. Mine (bought three months ago from the previous owner) had the same issues, have replaced everything and each time it would start and run beautifully for a week. Now it won't start at all, not even a tow start which previously was very effective.

Once I have it running it will be out - given away if I can not sell it. Never ever again a Landrover in my possession. That is why the previous owner had sold it to you too, I believe.

I am convinced my D1 problem is the immobilizer - and I can not get around it.